cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New CCNA kit, followed directions, but must be missing something...

godboy777
Level 1
Level 1

I can't seem to get any of my serial connections to ping. I have three routers. One of the routers has multiple serial interfaces that branch out to the others. I went through all steps in my CCNA workbook, following everything to a T, but still nothing pings. (Protocol down on everything) I configured the clock rate on the two DCE routers. (clock rate 64000) - still nothing. Any ideas? These routers are 2600s two on outside running 12.4. The one in the middle 12.3 IOS.

Lab_A#sh ip int brief

Interface                  IP-Address      OK? Method Status                 Protocol

FastEthernet0/0       172.168.10.1    YES NVRAM  up                    down

Serial0/0                  172.16.20.1     YES NVRAM  up                    down

Lab_B>sh ip int brief

Interface                  IP-Address      OK? Method   Status                        Protocol

FastEthernet0/0        unassigned     YES NVRAM  up                             down

Serial1/0                  172.16.20.2     YES NVRAM  up                             down

Serial1/1                  172.16.30.1     YES NVRAM  up                             down

Serial1/2                  unassigned      YES NVRAM  administratively down down

Serial1/3                  unassigned      YES NVRAM  administratively down down

Lab_C#sh ip int brief

Interface                  IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol

FastEthernet0/0       172.16.40.1     YES NVRAM  up                    down

Serial0/0                 172.16.30.2     YES NVRAM  up                    down

12 Replies 12

joelgooding
Level 1
Level 1

sounds strange, first point would be to ensure the DTE router clocking is being received correctly.

do a:  show controllers serial x/x   for the three routers and post the results pls.

Joel _______________________________ Please rate helpful posts and answered questions!

Hey, thanks for the reply. The output of each sh controllers command is in the attached file.

N W
Level 1
Level 1

what cables are you using?DCE DTE?

The cables are both labeled on one side DTE, and on the other side they are labeled DCE.

Lab_B or the middle router has the two DTE connections. Lab_A and Lab_C ,or my two outside routers, have the DCE side of the connections. They are the routers I have added the clocking to.

Can you post the configs for all the routers, that would help to see what the issue may be.

Mike

Attached are the configs, thanks for your help.

joelgooding
Level 1
Level 1

i looked through the files. nothing stands out that could be obviously wrong. Then again i'm a novice, did anyone pick up anything when looking tru the config files?

Joel _______________________________ Please rate helpful posts and answered questions!

mrSS
Level 1
Level 1

can you post some traceroutes as well??

Here you go.....Lab A - Lab B - Lab C.  I couldnt understand why you were giving your interface an 172 address and the frame relay portion a 10 address, this might be valid but I have never seen it before (and I have seen very little frame relay...but wanted this challange).

Your pings wont work, but I will leave that for you towork on now

Good luck

Jimmy

The config below work, its staying up/up.

Current configuration : 191 bytes
!
interface Serial0/0
ip address 172.16.20.1 255.255.255.0
encapsulation frame-relay
serial restart-delay 0
clock rate 2016000
no frame-relay inverse-arp
frame-relay intf-type dce
end

Lab_A#sh ip int br
Interface                  IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol
Serial0/0                  172.16.20.1     YES manual up                    up

Lab_B#sh run int s0/0
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 116 bytes
!
interface Serial0/0
ip address 172.16.20.2 255.255.255.0
encapsulation frame-relay
serial restart-delay 0
end

Lab_B#sh ip int br
Serial0/0                  172.16.20.2     YES manual up                    up

I tried your fix of changing the clock rate to it's highest setting and it didn't work. It seems that you didn't even attempt to fix the issue but instead set up your own network using my ip addresses. This does not help. If you have a more specific idea of what changes to make please advise.

Changing the clockrate alone wont help.  I took your configs, put them into devices, cabled, and watch the line protocol go up/down just as you said.  I then looked over the configs, saw some items I didnt understand or agree with.  I also used the debug command (the first time I ran this I saw no LMI events, so I knew where to start looking).  I just posted the relevant parts of the config, hope it helped.

Could you be a little more specific? What commands do I type in the prompt? Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card