Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New serial card interface not detect

Hi all,

I have existing cisco 2811 (Version 12.4(3c)). I try to add a HWIC serial card into the router but the new HWIC is not detected. There is no new interfece shows up when i do show run. This HWIC is a new card just bought it.

Any idea why it is  not detected???

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kyle McKay
Level 1
Level 1

I've experienced a similar issue with adding an HWIC to a 2801 router. It was simply due to the IOS version. Once I upgraded to a newer version, the card was recognized and we were good to go.

If you examine the following Cisco page, you will see the required IOS versions in order to support the new HWIC.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5949/datasheet_c78-491363.html

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Kyle McKay
Level 1
Level 1

I've experienced a similar issue with adding an HWIC to a 2801 router. It was simply due to the IOS version. Once I upgraded to a newer version, the card was recognized and we were good to go.

If you examine the following Cisco page, you will see the required IOS versions in order to support the new HWIC.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5949/datasheet_c78-491363.html

It might be helpful if we knew which specific HWIC card it was. It  would help to determine what version of IOS might be required.

Another possible explanation of the problem may be  that some of the new serial cards can do both T1 and E1 in the same card  and these cards require that you use the card type command to specify  which implementation and then configure the controller to specify the  time slots. And it is the configuration of the time slots that creates  the serial interface in the configuration.

So can the original poster clarify which type of card it is?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

The card is a HWIC-2T ( 2 port serial WAN Interface Card).

Mohd Khairul Nizam wrote:

Hi Rick,

The card is a HWIC-2T ( 2 port serial WAN Interface Card).

You need to upgrade your IOS on the router.

According to this

page, the HWIC-2T requires a minimum IOS level of 12.4(23) with the IP Base feature set on a 2800 platform - and you're only running 12.4(3) by your own admission.

Upgrade the IOS to the minimum required level, and you should be good to go.

Cheers.

elepon06
Level 1
Level 1

Maybe it is not V-2 WIC or try version 2 WIC

Sent from Cisco Technical Support

Hi Eli,

What do you mean of not V-2 WIC or 2 WIC. I don't understand.

What do you mean of not V-2 WIC or 2 WIC. I don't understand.

The card itself will have the complete product ID (PID).  It will tell you (at the end) whether you have V2 or not.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card