cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5596 spanning-tree config issue

inderpalsogi
Level 1
Level 1

We recently replaced a 5596 due to an issue with SFP modules not being recognised on 1 port.  We took the config off the old 5596 and put it onto the new one.

2 x 5596 nexus switches are connected together with one port being used a the peer keeaplive and then an 80gb port channel between the two switches. Not sure why it was designed this way but the issue I had was the following line was identified in the config in the new switch:

spanning-tree port type edge default

This caused major problems with vpc inconsistency and flapping.

In order to resolve the issue we removed this line and everything was working successfully.

My concerns are this command was not in the config taken off the switch thet was replaced.  Is this command on by default on a Nexus 5596? How can this command appear other than explicitly executing it?

We did a direct copy and paste from the old switch to the new one so not sure why this command would appear in the configuration.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Your right default is normal my mistake.

View solution in original post

You could check the accounting log to see if the command was applied.

show accounting log

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jim Moore
Level 1
Level 1

Do you have the following command configured:

spanning-tree port type edge bpdugaurd default

If so is it possible in the copy and paste the bpdugaurd did not paste in resulting in spanning-tree port type edge default?

The default port type should be network.

Is the code on the new 5K the same as the old one?

Thanks for the input Jim.

We do have spanning-tree port type edge bpduguard default in the command line.

Not sure if we could have copied and pasted this incorrectly.

I thought the default port type is Normal rather than network.  You set it to network for bridge assurance.  Am i right?

The code on the new 5k is the same as the old one as we downgraded it to the same level.

You could check the accounting log to see if the command was applied.

show accounting log

Thanks Jim.  This shows me what I needed.

Your right default is normal my mistake.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card