cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

nexus 7000 noob

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

We have gotten our first Nexus 7000's in and we are getting ready to try and configure this thing.  I power up the 7000 and all modules show ok . When I try to do a show int status  I see no ports other than the mgt0 interface .  Any ideas on why I would not see any ports ?  Tried allocating ports to the vdc , doesn't seem to matter . Mods show green .   Also not seeing very many options under the "feature" command , this could be a license issue I don't know. We need layer 3 functionality with dynamic routing support.  I didn't order the box. It says it has the "lan enterprise services license. We have 2 of these and both show the same issues described above. Any input appreciated.

23 Replies 23

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Layer 3 will depend on what line card you've got too.

Do you have M1/M2/F2 card?

There is a n7k-m148gt-11l   module (slot3) and a n7k-f248xp-25 module (slot 4 ) plus 5 fabric modules , n7k-c7009-fab-2 . Maybe you can elaborate a little more on "layer 3 " depends on the linecards.  Obviously these must operate different than the 6500's even though  they use some of the same commands.  Haven't any expereince with these other than a nexus 5000 which was a layer 2 setup.

Faaaart! You got the legacy F2 card. Can you get this replaced to an F2e card, Glen?

Y'know about the legacy F2 design bug? The bug where the legacy F2 card cannot co-exist with F1/M1/M2 card?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Nintendo App

Nope don't know anything about the F2 card.  This is brand new and just arrived less than a month ago. Can't  believe they sell these if there is an issue.  This is exactly what it looks like though , it won't let you allocate this F2 card into the same vdc as the other card, stupid!!!

Leo do you have any specific info that you can point to indicating the issue with the F2 card and the M1 cards? Have been unable to find that info specifically.  Thanks...

Glen,

I have talked to Cisco about this.  You have 2 choices. 1-Use the existing F2 card you have, but you need a layer-3 connection (physical link) between your M2 and F2 card.  So basically you are routing between cards in the same chassis.

2-Replace your F2 card with F2e, but you have to run 6.2 OS, which is not available until June of this year.

HTH

Glen,

You license is good enough to run all routing protocols (see below).  When you first boot the box, the only VDC you have is the admin VDC and this VDC has very limited functionality.  So, you need to create a new VDC first from the admin VDC and allocate blade and ports to it. Once that is complete you can login to the new VDC and start enabling features and configuring what you need. Do a "sh feature" and that will show you all the features that can be enabled.

LAN Enterprise Package

The following functions are available only with the Enterprise license of Cisco NX-OS Software Release 6.1:

• IP routing

– OSPFv2 and v3 (IPv4 and IPv6)

– IS-IS (IPv4)

– BGP (IPv4 and IPv6)

– EIGRP (IPv4 and IPv6)

• IP Multicast

– PIM: Sparse, Bidir, ASM, and SSM modes (IPv4 and IPv6)

– MSDP (IPv4)

• PBR (IPv4 and IPv6)

• GRE tunnels

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps9494/ps9372/data_sheet_c78-437306.html

HTH

Thanks Reza and everyone starting to get an idea on how this works .  Still have an issue trying to allocate mod 4 ports into vdc 2 , was able to allocate mod 3 ports into that vdc but get an error trying to allocate the n7k-f248xp-25 module ports into vdc 2 .  Ideas ???

Glen,

Do this, under the admin VDC:

config t

vdc

for example

vdc test

then try this command:

limit-resource module-type f2

and then try to allocate it to the VDC. 

you may not be able to add an F2 module to this VDC.  I can only add this module to a storage VDC, but try it anyway.

Reza

srhody
Level 1
Level 1

As leolaohoo said, the Layer 3 functionality will depend on the card. If you do a show vdc status, is your default vdc type admin? If so, then you cannot allocate interfaces to that admin VDC. You would need to make a new vdc with the correct limit-resource module type for your specific card.

Made a little progress , was able to alocate mod 3 ports into a new vdc  but for some reason it won't let me allocate the ports in mod 4 to that same vdc get an error 1: 1 or more interfaces are from a module type not supported by this vdc . No idea what that means .

Depending on the card type of module 4, it may need to be in a separate vdc. What is the limit-resource module-type for the vdc you are using? What is the card type of module 4?

That error means that module 4 is a different card type than the configured module-type. For the vdc configuration, you can do a no limit-resource module-type which prevents most limitations based on card types. I've found that F2 cards are sometimes still not allowed with the no limit-resource module type command.

Slot  4 is

n7k-f248xp-25 module (slot 4 )  .  Tried the no limit resource command which did not seem to help allocating the ports into the vdc.

You'll need to create a new VDC and place the F248XP ports in that VDC. The non-E F248XP card cannot be allocated to a VDC with non-F2 ports.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card