cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 9000v does not boot up on ESXi6.5

h.lehnigk
Level 1
Level 1

I try to install a Nexus9000v OVA Imgage on my ESXi6.5 Host. It doesn't matter if I use release 7.x or 9x it start's booting and stop as you can see in my pic below. Was anybody else able to get it run?

Anmerkung 2020-01-13 111054.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

glmorris47
Level 1
Level 1

This is expected behavior.  You need to add a serial adapter to the VM.  Configure it with Network connectivity and in server mode.  For the URI, enter something like telnet://x.x.x.x:5555

x.x.x.x is the IP address of the host that it's running on and the port can be any port that's not in use.  

Once you have done that, you can telnet to it and watch the remaining boot up.  If it is the first time you have booted it, say yes to not using autoboot, and no to the autoconfigure wizard.  You can then provide it a login cred.

Once logged in, type dir to list the files on disk0:  Then use the following command to make sure it boots up correctly on next boot:

boot nxos bootflash:<filename of nxos file>

copy run start to save.

Next time you boot it your telnet session will just work at it will boot normally.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Have you verified the below link (.. Deployment Notes)...

M.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/7-x/nx-osv/configuration/guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000v/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000v_chapter_011.html#concept_43BBF174020E4B59ACA983D802522853

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hello Marce1000,

I did not check this notes before. 

Now as I saw it, where should I enter this command below to convert the file to old?

nexus9000v-user@fe-ucs-dt13:vmfkstools -i nxosv-final.7.0.3.I6.1vmdk nxos-final.7.0.3.I6.1.esx.vmdk

- As far as I  understand just any host that has the VMware tools installed and or where the command vmfkstools is available.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

glmorris47
Level 1
Level 1

This is expected behavior.  You need to add a serial adapter to the VM.  Configure it with Network connectivity and in server mode.  For the URI, enter something like telnet://x.x.x.x:5555

x.x.x.x is the IP address of the host that it's running on and the port can be any port that's not in use.  

Once you have done that, you can telnet to it and watch the remaining boot up.  If it is the first time you have booted it, say yes to not using autoboot, and no to the autoconfigure wizard.  You can then provide it a login cred.

Once logged in, type dir to list the files on disk0:  Then use the following command to make sure it boots up correctly on next boot:

boot nxos bootflash:<filename of nxos file>

copy run start to save.

Next time you boot it your telnet session will just work at it will boot normally.

Hello glmorris47,

thank you for your answer. I got this hint already on CL from some Lab Engineers but it does not work on my System. Maybe the ESXi 6.5 System coming with BE6000 on C220 is not able to support a Serial Connection. I will try to use an older host with ESXi5.5, which came not as BE System.

Regards

Hubert

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card