cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NEXUS auto configuration rollback

tachyon05
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to setup auto config rollback on NEXUS 5k / 7K, where if I make a config mistake and lost access to the device being configured, after X minutes, if I don't intervene, the device auto undo the changes.  This has been available on IOS for many years, and it is much better than reload in X.

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Most of the nexus platform works out of band management, that is seperate from your general config,  as long as that is reachable you can mke any changes you looking to do.

coming to your question  -

where if I make a config mistake and lost access to the device being configured, after X minutes, if I don't intervene, the device auto undo the changes.

what kind of changes - depends on change change content. if you plan properly  what you looking to revert corrent plan

you can do many ways - example EEM, kron, Guest shell scripts to revert the config (the one you thinking wrong ?)

This has been available on IOS for many years, and it is much better than reload in X.  - Not sure i get this one, IOS you can replace the config on fly ? (you mean reload the device with timer ?) or anything else you referrring here ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I believe he is referencing using the Archive feature and running `configure terminal revert timer idle 2` which will roll back any config changes to an archived version (taken at start of entering config terminal) if your session is idle for 2 min. Super helpful for when you oops something and it is not practical to physically go to the device and reboot. Also, it's a lot faster than a reload. 

Now Nexus does have the Archive feature, but sadly not the associated revert function. OP (and myself) is looking for a good substitute to this missing function, because while I agree that Nexus supports OOB mgmt, there are some situations where you cannot run an OOB network to accomplish this. Example: Very remote networks where it is hard enough to run your primary network. 

mattc09r
Level 1
Level 1

To answer your question there is not a clean simple way to do an auto revert like on Catalyst. Where you could do it on the fly with `config t revert timer idle 2` and `config confirm` to end the timer, it is a little more involved with Nexus.

First you have to take a full copy of the running-config to your system (tftp or whatever method you wish), make your desired changes and then run:

configure replace tftp://serverip/edited-config-file.conf commit-timeout 90

This loads in your new running configuration with a 90 second timeout window. If you run:

config replace commit

within those 90 seconds the config will stay, if not it will revert to the previous configuration. You can read more about this function here: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/7-x/system_management/configuration/guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_System_Management_Configuration_Guide_7x/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_System_Management_Configuration_...

Hope this helps!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card