Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus_DHCP_device can not gain IP address

incognito
Level 1
Level 1

hello, friends

I need a help. For more info open an attached image, please.

topology.jpg

DHCP server.png

1. I installed DHCP Server on Windows server 2012. Created 8 dhcp scopes for 8 subnets.

2. I configured DHCP relay on Nexus 6000. (configuration file is attached)

3. I configured C3560 switch to connect user devices, as you know on Nexus all ports are SFP, that's why I use this switch to connect user devices to the nexus. (configuration file of C3560 is attached)

4. The interface fastethernet0/2 on C3560 I configured as switchport mode access and the port belongs to vlan 402. Then I

connected my laptop to this port, but I couldn't get any IP-address from this scope (dhcp-address-range 10.111.3.6 - 10.111.3.254)

That is my problem. Any advice would be helpful

23 Replies 23

thanks
but what for this command "ip default-gateway 192.168.210.1"??? I dont understand. Could you explain me?
Can I don't use it?

If this the device only doing L2, theris L3 routing required in the Swithch

below command only rquired to reach managment. (rather we use to use ip route command)

ip default-gateway 192.168.210.1

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello

This switch can be a host switch - no up routing so basically it’s just like a pc

ip address

subnet mask

default gateway 

The D/G is required for remote access to the switch otherwise without it you would not be able reach it off it own subnet 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

thank you, guys
everything works fine!

@paul driver 

@Georg Pauwen 

zachrhart@gmail.com 

@balaji.bandi 

Hello,

how did you resolve this ?

hello
everything configured like you all mentioned here. The problem was that interface vlans was on down state. I just used command "no shutdown" and everything had worked fine

Well sorry but these is just like I am keeping my point of View As u said that Nexus all ports are SFP so you have given one Cisco switch with it and then on that switch you have connected server and on that server you have created various DHCP Pool.
But what mine thinking say is Its good what you have did atleast I got to know such scenerio also but what if
1->You have Created a DHCP IP Pool on your Nexus device only 

2-> and after that you would have created multiple VLANs as you have already Created and also VLAN SVI on Nexus Only.

3-> what these could have done is your Nexus would have worked as an DHCP Server as it has the capacity to do that I believe that so because I have personally not worked on Nexus
4-> The setup would have been much easier sorry but I just felt that from my end to explain things according to my scenerio

I hope with Server you have not only created DHCP server pool but also AD & Other Domain settings.

Hello,

on a side note, and I don't know if this has already been mentioned, your access port needs the 'spanning-tree portfast' command, try and add that:

interface FastEthernet0/2
switchport access vlan 402
switchport mode access

spanning-tree portfast

@Georg Pauwen 

@paul driver 

@balaji.bandi 

zachrhart@gmail.com Hello, guys!

one more question about DHCP Option 82. Do I need to configure it on nexus?

In general for what we use this option? 

And what about the trusted interface? Should I configure a trusted interface? (Ensure that the DHCP server is connected to the device using a trusted interface. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/6-x/security/configuration/guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_Security_Configuration_Guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_Security_Configuration_Guide_chapter_01101.html)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: