Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus N7k F2e routed interface and Sync Configuration

Steev112
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i have Nexus 7k with F2e module , when i tried to configire IP Address it refused, does this card bydeafult not support L3 ?

2. Sync Confiuration not supported on N7k ? if support can you please share the document?

Thanks

14 Replies 14

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Steven, the F2e card cannot do routing by itself. It needs to proxy route off of a "M" card of some sort in the same VDC to create SVI's.

What do you mean by sync configuration?

EDIT: the F3 card supports routing as far as i know. It came out more recently.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Hi Bilal,

AS per cisco it support:

M1 series

M2 series

F1 series

F2 series

F2e series

F3 series

L3 features

Yes

Yes

No

Yes

Yes

Yes

i create one VDC and assign F2e card as showing below:

vdc HQ-Core

limit-resource module-type f2

allocate interface Ethernet3/1-24

allocate interface Ethernet4/1-24

I read need to configure "rebind interface", my question must apply this command or only apply this command if is mix is as below

it-resource module-type f2 m1 ..

I am confusing when i must apply this configuration.

2. Configuration Sync:

conf sync

switch-profile 5k-Profile

Command!!

Command!!

Verify

commit

this available on N5k does this feature support on N7k.

Thanks

Hi Steven,

F2e Proxy Mode

To support the coexistence of an F2e Series module with an M Series module in the same VDC, the F2e Series module operates in a proxy mode so that all Layer 3 traffic is sent to an M Series module in the same VDC. For F2e proxy mode, having routing adjacencies connected through F2e interfaces with an M1 Series module is not supported. However, routing adjacencies connected through F2e interfaces with an M2 Series module is supported.

You cannot allocate F2e ports as shared interfaces in the storage VDC if the F2e port is in proxy mode in the Ethernet VDC.

When you enter the limit-resource module-type command and it changes the F2e mode between the old VDC type and the new VDC type, you are prompted to enter the rebind interface command, as shown below:

switch(config-vdc)# limit-resource module-type m1 m1xl m2xl f2e
This will cause all ports of unallowed types to be removed from this vdc. Continue (y/n)?
[yes]
Note: rebind interface is needed for proper system operation.
Please backup the running-configuration for interface by redirecting the output of "show
running-config interface".
Reapply the interface configuration after the "rebind interface" command
switch(config)# vdc vdc2
switch(config-vdc)# rebind interfaces
All interfaces' configurations of the current vdc will be lost during interface rebind. 
Please back up the configurations of the current vdc. Do you want to proceed (y/n)? [no] yes
switch(config-vdc)#

The table below shows the VDC type changes that require the rebind interface command:

Table 7 VDC Types Impacted By F2e Proxy Mode

Old VDC Type

New VDC Type

Rebind Required

Description

Impact

F2,F2e

M,F2e

Yes

Changes F2e from Layer 3 to proxy mode.

You will lose the F2,F2e configuration during the rebinding of the interface. F2 configuration loss should not have much impact because F2 ports are not part of the new VDC.

M,F2e

F2,F2e

Yes

Changes F2e from proxy to Layer 3 mode.

You will lose the M,F2e configuration during the rebinding of the interface. M configuration loss should not have much impact because M ports are not part of the new VDC.

F2e

M,F2e

Yes

Changes F2e from Layer 3 to proxy mode.

You will lose only the F2e configuration.

M,F2e

F2e

Yes

Changes F2e from proxy to Layer 3 mode.

You will lose the M,F2e configuration during the rebinding of the interface. M configuration loss should not have much impact because M ports are not part of the new VDC.

F2,F2e

F2e

Yes

Enables F2e-only capabilities like SVI statistics.

You will lose the F2,F2e configuration during the rebinding of the interface. F2 configuration loss should not have much impact because F2 ports are not part of the new VDC.

F2e

F2,F2e

Yes

Disables F2e-only capabilities like SVI statistics.

You will lose only the F2e configuration.

F3

F3,F2e

No

N/A

N/A

F3,F2e

F3

No

N/A

N/A

F3

F3,M2XL

No

N/A

N/A

F3,M2XL

F3

No

N/A

N/A

F3,F2,F2e

F3

Yes

Changes LCD to F3.

You will lose the F3 configuration.

F3

F3,F2,F2e

Yes

Changes F3 to LCD.

F3,F2

F3

Yes

Changes LCD to F3.

F3

F3,F2

Yes

Changes F3 to LCD.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/nx-os/virtual_device_context/configuration/guide/b-7k-Cisco-Nexus-7000-Series-NX-OS-Virtual-Device-Context-Configuration-Guide/manage-vdc.html

Is this what you are talking about?

Bilal

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Hi Bilal,

thanks for your reply, i have only F2e cards and create VDC with this resourse:

limit-resource module-type f2e

i have this question:

1. does need to configure rebind interface  to able to configure L3 or no need just when i configure "limit-resource module-type f2e " i am able to configure L2&3?

Hi Steven,

I think you only need to rebind interface when you use the limit-resource command. Without this, and only using F2E by itself, it should support L3 normally.

Bilal

Hi Bilal,

In my scenario i want to create VDC with as follow:

limit-resource module-type f2e

i am confiusing to apply rebind interface or will support L3 and L2 without this command.

Thanks

Hi Steven, since you are not mixing the modules in VDC, and only have f2e, I think you will not have to do the rebind interface. You will be prompted to do rebind if it is required.

Hi Bilal,

In same the table mentioned in the new VDC type only F2e card available and mentioned need to apply rebind interface, this cause confusing now.

Thanks 

Hi Steven, What is issue with rebind command? If it is required, it will prompt you anyway.

I think when you enter limit resource command, this process to change to new VDC type, then you may be prompted for rebind. I haven't tried this and cannot say for sure. I'm sorry can't give confirmed answer.

Hi Bilal,

No problem i will try without rebind interface and i will see.

Thanks for support.

bump 

what was the out come of this ? I have some vdcs to create and the line cards are F2e i'm not using mixed. I'm wondering if this command is needed at all. 

Thanks for your support. 

Hi Bilal,

Yes, but i didn't mix with any other module in this VDC as showing below:

Do i need to apply "rebind interfaces" or by default will work L2 and L3?

Thanks

By default it should work, rebind interface only when mixing module types like in table I showed above.

Hi Bilal

I am in the case M1 -> F2E migration. In order to maintain alive one peer-link member, we decided to leave one M1 module on both N7K as first step. So, in the middle of migration path we will have a mixed M1,F2e scenario. L3 interfaces will not work on F2e ports. Then, we'll replace the M1 module with the last F2e module.

Can you clarify what Cisco means with "F2e and M interface configuration will be lost"?

I suppose we will need to perform the rebind interface command once removed the last M1 module from my N7K pair, and replaced it with a F2E card.

Do you mean ALL interfaces belonging to F2E card configuration will be lost for that vdc?

Do we also need to change the limit-resource module-type value before performing the interface rebind?

Thank you

Max

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card