cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

not able to create vlan on cisco4500

salman abid
Level 1
Level 1

while creating a vlan why i'm not allowed to create vlans and keep on getting this below message

VTP VLAN configuration not allowed when device is not the primary server for vlan database.

need a solution on urgent basis

thanks

salman

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Asim Afzal
Level 1
Level 1

HI Salman,

Kindly configure vtp primary vlan on primary switch and then add new vlan.

In vtp ver3 there must be one primary server in vtp domain so you can add new vlan

Thanks

Asim

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

salman

Are you perhaps running VTP version 3? One of its features is that it has a primary server for VTP updates. If you are running this version then you need to make these changes on the primary server.

What is the output of the command show vtp status?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

show vtp status output

but i can see in this output primary switch is the local switch

isn't it?????

I Tottaly agree with Richard

VTP Version 3

One of its features is that it has a primary server for VTP updates. If  you are running this version then you need to make these changes on the  primary server.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/solution_guide_c78_508010.html

this will help you to configure ,

Please Rate it ,

Hi aman,

i just need to add a new vlan 888

every thing is already configured

Hi salman,,

#vtp primary vlan

configure this first then you can create vlan

Rate it

Hi Syed, is there any interruption is apply "vtp primary vlan" command?

Hello Salman,

Like VTP version 1 and VTP version 2, VTP version 3 uses the concept of device roles. As for the Server role VTP3 expands and enhances the concept of the server role. The default server role will be the secondary server subtype.

It produces the sh vlan status output as "VTP Operating Mode : Server"

To use the current device as VTP3 primary server you need to execute the "vtp primary vlan" command in EXEC mode.

It produces the sh vlan status output as "VTP Operating Mode : Primary Server"

BR,
Peter

BR, Peter

it seems you havent assigned any primary server yet.

set vtp primary in enable mode and check.

above is the show vtp status output for both core switches

hi salman,

still the vtp operating mode is in "Server" for both switches.

pls apply "vtp primary vlan" and "vtp primary mst" in enable mode in your CSW01

and then check whether the vtp operating mode has changed to "Primary Server" for both vlan and for mst

salman abid
Level 1
Level 1

hi aman

that what my confussion is
as u can see in above snapshots that core switch1 is already showing as primary switch then why I'm not able to create vlan on that switch too
as i cant do such changes in production without having complete info

one more question
vtp primary vlan
this is one time command or every time i have to put this command while adding a new vlan????

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

vtp primary vlan is a one time command to make your switch CSW01 as primary.

in case of primary switch failure CSW01 you can assign the primary status to CSW02 for vlan creation.

Asim Afzal
Level 1
Level 1

HI Salman,

Kindly configure vtp primary vlan on primary switch and then add new vlan.

In vtp ver3 there must be one primary server in vtp domain so you can add new vlan

Thanks

Asim

Hi asim,

after adding vtp primary vlan command on primary switch i was able to create vlans but my confussion was not this. As it is already mentioned by Vasanth Kumar in above comment that it is a one time command but you are already aware that due to some activity on last week we restarted our all the devices including core switched so it menas this command will remain effective unless you restarted core switch.

M i right or wrong???????

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco