cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Novice needs help w/ switch

rhooksome
Level 1
Level 1

I had a 3rd party vendor ( which is unavailable now); set-up a lab for me, which included installing a new Cisco SG 100 16 unmanaged switch. Worked great.

During the summer all connectivity, ISP etc. was disconnected. At the beginning of the year we had it reconnected, which included new IPs, gateways etc. configurations etc.  Now that second switch ( CISCO SG100 16) no longer works; and when I say "works" I mean there's no internet connectivity, nore network connectivity to any of the devices that are connected to it. Lights are all lit up.  But, some of the devices that are connected to it either gives an "limited connectvity error message" on it or reconizing it at all.  I did nothing, touched nothing. Our main switch works, but the second switch that controls several devices no longer works, what could have happened?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jonathancert_2
Level 1
Level 1

When you say your main switch is working, does this mean that there are devices connected to it that can access the outside world (email, web)?  If this is true, i would check the physical connection between the main switch and SG100.  Check the interface status on the managed switch and ensure your uplink is active.

Jonathan,

View solution in original post

Yes the switch should probally be connected to the core switch.

Mike

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Jonathancert_2
Level 1
Level 1

I'm confused on how many SG100's you have.  Since the SG100 is unmananged and plug-n-play, there are no configurations to be done.  Everything it learns will be layer 2 MAC addresses.  There must be a router involved to connect your ISP, have to checked that?  Have you power cycled the non-working SG100?

Jonathan,

i believe our ISp is connected to a router, then to another switch that handles other devices. That one is a managed switch and working fine.  But this one ( 100 16) is a second switch that only has a few extra devices on it that couldn't fit on the larger switch. The devices that are on the second switch are not working. Yes. I power cycled the switch.

I have not checked the router, what would I be checking for? The larger switch seems to be working fine, if it was the router,  wouldn't our larger, managed switch be effected?

thanks

Regina,

how is this connected? Does the unmanaged switch connect to the other managed switch or the router? If it connects to the switch make sure the port on the managed switch is confured correctly.

Mike

Jonathancert, burleyman

Jonathancert, yes there  is another switch connected to the outside world.

I did think it odd that there was no connection to the main switch.  So there should be something either connected to the router or main switch?

I will try looking again, and if there is nothing connected to the main switch I should connect it? correct?

Jonathancert_2
Level 1
Level 1

When you say your main switch is working, does this mean that there are devices connected to it that can access the outside world (email, web)?  If this is true, i would check the physical connection between the main switch and SG100.  Check the interface status on the managed switch and ensure your uplink is active.

Jonathan,

Yes the switch should probally be connected to the core switch.

Mike

Jonathancert,

burleyman,

I believe that helped THAT issue. Thanks. Now on to the next issue, in which I'm not sure if It's a switch config. issue or network issue. I will post separately,

Thanks for your help.

Glad to help and thanks for the ratings.

Mike

I'm just happy i was able to help you resolve your problem.

Jonathan,

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card