Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF mismatch area ID

D T
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My router generate an ospf invalid packet, ( Router A and B are generating these log ).

%OSPF-4-ERRRCV: Received invalid packet: mismatch area ID, from backbone area must be virtual-link but not found from x.x.x.x  (router C IP address) vlan xx

show ip ospf interface on each directly connected interface ( A to ABR and c to ABR ) resulting a same ospf area,

Any suggestion or advise why these log shows up? i don't use virtual links and as far as i know there's no routing issue / problem happen.

7 Replies 7

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Daniel,

This looks as if you assigned the links from A to ABR and from B to ABR to the area 1 only in the A/B configuration, but on ABR routers, these links are still assigned to area 0. Please verify that using the command

show ip ospf interface brief

on both ABRs - watch for the Area column in the output. Both ABRs must report the links to A and B being also placed into area 1.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

thanks for your reply, i've verified both links from router a/b to ABR and ABR to a/b is on the same area,

here is the output

ROUTER A

router-A#sh ip ospf int b

Interface    PID   Area            IP Address/Mask    Cost  State Nbrs F/C

Vl232        1     12             10.204.14.34/30    10    BDR   1/1

ROUTER B

router-B#sh ip ospf int b

Vl332        1     12             10.204.15.34/30    10    BDR   1/1

ABR A

ABR-A#sh ip ospf int vl232

Vlan232 is up, line protocol is up

Internet Address 10.204.14.33/30, Area 12

ABR B

ABR-B#sh ip ospf int vl 332

Vlan332 is up, line protocol is up

Internet Address 10.204.15.33/30, Area 12

Daniel,

Thank you for keeping me informed.

This is interesting. Note that the ABRs appear to have a successful peerings with A and B according to the F/C column. The show ip ospf neighbor on router A and B should hence confirm a successful adjacency of A and B to ABRs.

I had a closer look at the message you provided:

%OSPF-4-ERRRCV: Received invalid packet: mismatch area ID, from backbone  area must be virtual-link but not found from x.x.x.x  (router C IP  address) vlan xx

This is interesting. Routers A and B can see OSPF Hello packets from router C. This looks like the ABRs are actually switching the packets from C to A and B, or somehow, the OSPF Hello packets from router C are leaking to A and B. Do you have a common VLAN that spans from A/B through ABRs to C? That would explain this phenomenon.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Just to make things more clear, These is the logs i've seen on router A and B

%OSPF-4-ERRRCV: Received invalid packet: mismatch area ID, from backbone area must be virtual-link but not found from 10.204.34.17, Vlan111

I did some checking whether vlan 111 also span to C

router-A#  sh ip ospf int br

Vl232        1     12             10.204.14.34/30    10    BDR   1/1

Vl111        1     12             10.204.1.8/24      400   DR    1/1

router-A#sh vlan id 111

VLAN Name                             Status    Ports

---- -------------------------------- --------- -------------------------------

111  VLAN0111                         active    Gi0/1, Gi0/2, Gi0/3, Gi0/4, Gi0/5, Gi0/8, Gi0/12

router-C# sh vlan id 111

VLAN 111 not found in current VLAN database

vlan 111 is not spanned to router C , but i find it on router-ABR-A

router-ABR-A#sh vlan id 111

VLAN Name                             Status    Ports

---- -------------------------------- --------- -------------------------------

111  VLAN0111                         active    Po17

router-ABR-A#sh cdp ne po17 d

-------------------------

Device ID: *****************

Entry address(es):

IP address: 10.204.40.242

router-ABR-A#sh run | b er os

router ospf 1

router-id 10.204.12.91

log-adjacency-changes

auto-cost reference-bandwidth 10000

network 10.204.40.240 0.0.0.7 area 0

ABR-A assigned vlan 111 to area 0,  is this what causing the logs on router A,B ?

Hello,

I am somewhat at loss seeing the diverse router ID's without knowing what exactly they refer to, but according to what you have commented, it seems that both router A and ABR-A have interface Vlan111 configured, and while A has this interface put into area 12, ABR-A has this interface in area 0, resulting in area mismatch.

However, if I am to believe that the error message displayed on A refers to the IP address of C, not ABR-A, as you originally indicated, then it still must be the Vlan111 being simply trunked over ABR-A towards switch C.

Seeing your logical topology, i.e. what VLANs exist and how the routers are interconnected by them, would be helpful.

Best regards,

Peter

Entry address(es):

IP address: 10.204.40.242

router-ABR-A#sh run | b er os

router ospf 1

router-id 10.204.12.91

log-adjacency-changes

auto-cost reference-bandwidth 10000

network 10.204.40.240 0.0.0.7 area 0

ABR-A assigned vlan 111 to area 0,  is this what causing the logs on router A,B ?

Hi,

If this network(10.204.40.240 0.0.0.7) is not in area 0, this could cause the problem. But this router C address in the error message is a bit strange.

Regards,

Alex

boss.silva
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Would you mind posting the sanitized config of all the switches/routers involved?

Regards,

Bruno Silva.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card