Views
Helpful
Replies

Partial adjacency in Nexus 7k OTV

bonestorm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I've been troubleshooting an issue with Nexus 7010 dealing with site adjaceny.  I have four 7ks (two at each site).  Site1-N7K1 is linked via DWDM to Site2-N7K1 over a layer 3 link (the join interface) and this forms an adjaceny.  The same happens with Site1-N7K2 and Site2-N7K2.

However I can't get a full adjacency from the N7Ks in the same site over a layer 2 link, even though the site VLAN is definitely up.  This is the output from 'sho otv site':

Site1-N7K1# sho otv site

Local Edge Device Information:

Hostname Site1-N7K1             

System-ID 4055.3906.99c1

Site-Identifier 0000.0000.0001

Site-VLAN 789 State is Up

Site Information for Overlay1:

Local device is AED-Capable

Neighbor Edge Devices in Site: 1

Hostname                 System-ID        Adjacency-       Adjacency-   AED-     

State            Uptime       Capable 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(null)                   64a0.e740.8741   Partial           2d21h        Yes      

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this?  When I do a 'show ip mroute' I only see an entry for the L3 join interface, I'm not sure if this is the problem.

Mark

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

stevenmcnamara
Level 1
Level 1

What does "show otv site detail" say?

Do you have a dedicated OTV VDC? I'm guessing from your description you are have dedicated point to point DWDM services. See this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Data_Center/DCI/whitepaper/DCI_1.html#wp1186215

The use of OTV VDCs is also required in point-to-point deployments where a pair of separate physical devices is deployed in a dedicated DCI layer to perform the OTV functionality.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

stevenmcnamara
Level 1
Level 1

What does "show otv site detail" say?

Do you have a dedicated OTV VDC? I'm guessing from your description you are have dedicated point to point DWDM services. See this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Data_Center/DCI/whitepaper/DCI_1.html#wp1186215

The use of OTV VDCs is also required in point-to-point deployments where a pair of separate physical devices is deployed in a dedicated DCI layer to perform the OTV functionality.

Thanks Steven,

You are absolutely correct with this answer.  I pointed the join interface at our existing network core rather than through the point to point DWDM and the adjacencies came up no problem.

Mark

DOUG GODING
Level 1
Level 1

I am also having a similar issue with the partial adjacency, however my OTV extension is working.

It seems that the Site VLAN communication is not working correclty, however I have verified the L2 path between the two Nexus switches. I get the same as below from either switch.

Switch2-otv(config)# sh otv site

Dual Adjacency State Description

Full     - Both site and overlay adjacency up

Partial  - Either site/overlay adjacency down

Down     - Both adjacencies are down (Neighbor is down/unreachable)

- Site-ID mismatch detected

Local Edge Device Information:

Hostname Switch2-otv                 

System-ID 04c5.a4e8.cec4

Site-Identifier 0001.0001.0001

Site-VLAN 3919 State is Up

Site Information for Overlay0:

Local device is AED-Capable

Neighbor Edge Devices in Site: 1

Hostname                 System-ID        Adjacency-       Adjacency-   AED-     

State            Uptime       Capable 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Switch 1-otv           4055.3920.4b44   Partial           00:00:10     Yes      

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Switch1-otv# sh otv vl

OTV Extended VLANs and Edge Device State Information (* - AED)

VLAN   Auth. Edge Device                     Vlan State       Overlay

----   -----------------------------------   ----------       -------

10   Switch2-otv                        inactive(Non AED)Overlay0  

19*  Switch1-otv                        active           Overlay0  

___________________________________________________________________________________

Switch2# sh otv vlan

OTV Extended VLANs and Edge Device State Information (* - AED)

VLAN   Auth. Edge Device                     Vlan State       Overlay

----   -----------------------------------   ----------       -------

10*  Switch2-otv                        active           Overlay0  

19   Switch1-otv                        inactive(Non AED)Overlay0  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: