Views
Helpful
Replies

Password break for Router 2901

goutam_04
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have installed a new cisco2901 router and configured the line vty 0 4 and console 0 and enable secret.

But unfortunately I exit from the configuration and while going to login in again.  I cannot login with username and password which is configured.

Unable to recover the password through Break command.  Please suggest me how to recover the password.  Its very urgent.

Thanks

17 Replies 17

mrdogantr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You can use link below for password recovery.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/products_password_recovery09186a0080b34901.shtml

hth

Muammer

Latchum Naidu
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Goutam,

To recover your password, follow the steps below:

1. Attach a terminal or PC with terminal emulation to the console port of the switch. Use the following
terminal settings:

9600 baud rate
no parity
8 data bits
1 stop bit

Note: For additional information on cabling and connecting a terminal to the console port, refer to
Connecting a Terminal to the Console Port on Catalyst Switches.

2. Turn off the switch and then turn it on. You may have to wait a few minutes after the power reset for
the switch to present the first password prompt.

Important: After the first password prompt is presented, you have 30 seconds to complete the
recovery procedure in Steps 3 − 7 below. Because you only have 30 seconds to complete this
procedure, you will press Enter whenever the switch prompts you for an old or new password.
Pressing Enter at the password prompt is the equivalent of entering a null character. This will allow
you to complete the recovery quickly.

If any of the steps below fail, it means you have exceeded the 30 second time limit and will have to
power off/on the switch again. You will need to start over, beginning with Step 3.

3. Press Enter at the password prompt to enter a null password.
4. Type enable at the prompt to enter enable mode.
5. Press Enter at the password prompt to enter a null password.
6. Change the password using the set password command or the set enablepass command.
7. Press Enter at the prompt to enter the old password.

Important: If you receive "sorry password incorrect" at any point during Steps 3−8, remember you
are only pressing the Enter key when prompted for a password. This means you must have exceeded
the 30 second time limit and will have to power off/on the switch again and start over beginning with
Step 3.

8. The password recovery should now have been completed successfully. You may now use the set
password and set enablepass commands to configure secure passwords of your choice.

Please rate the helpful posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

Hi I am using putty to login console...I dont have the terminal window in my laptop.

I have tried to switch off the router but the password promt is not coming.  Its going to the normal username and password promt.  and if i put the username and password its shows incorrect.

any other way to do this.

thanks

Hi Goutam,

You need to have console connection to the Router because if it get reload then you will loose connection if you connect through putty.

If you are at different location ask some one to connect a PC with console connection to the router so that you can log in to the PC and take console of the rotuer.

Follow the below links from cisco as per best practice.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/products_password_recovery09186a0080b34901.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps133/products_tech_note09186a0080174a34.shtml

Please rate the helpful posts.

Regards,

Naidu.

Hi,

the document shows the process with ctrl+break option.  but this command is not accepting by router through putty...i think there is a inbuild command in 2901 new router to denied this command.

I have tried lot of times with break / pause  option...but its not working...router is coming at the normal mode..

not able to boot with rommon mode.

pls.....help me if there is a different ways.

Hi,

You can try pressing Ctrl-C or using the "break" option on the special commands menu during that procedure.

Best regards,

Giorgos

You want the easy way or the hard way?

The hard way is to follow the Cisco process of getting your proggie to invoke a Ctrl+C.

The easy way is to remove the CF and turn on the router.  Without any CF to read the IOS from the router will immediately go into ROMmon.  Nice, quick, easy and fool-proof.

Hi Leo,

Nice, quick, easy and fool-proof.

Yes, as long as it is not performed too often this way. The CF contacts seem to be anything but durable. I have not yet seen a damaged CF connector in Cisco routers but it nevertheless appears to me to be so fragile that I even frown on my students when they play with the CF cards...

Best regards,

Peter

I have not yet seen a damaged CF connector in Cisco routers but it nevertheless appears to me to be so fragile that I even frown on my students when they play with the CF cards...

Grade = "F" 

Leo,

LOL, 5+ points for that As a matter of fact, we are using FX instead of a plain F, because the F can be very easily "upgraded" to E simply by adding the bottom-most line...

Best regards,

Peter

As a matter of fact, we are using FX instead of a plain F, because the F can be very easily "upgraded" to E simply by adding the bottom-most line...

Ahhhh ... Didn't know that.  Thanks for the rating Peter. 

Hi thanks for your suggestion but I am having very little knowledge on Router hardware...so I would like to know...there are 2 CF (CF 0 and CF1) card is there in Cisco 2901. which one i need to remove and if I remove is there any chance to crash the IOS or hardware.

could you please give the procedure to remove the CF and insertation on cisco 2901.

Thanks

which one i need to remove and if I remove is there any chance to crash the IOS or hardware.

Flash0: contains the CF.  Flash1: is normally empty but you can remove that too if there's one.

Chance of crashing?  No you won't.

could you please give the procedure to remove the CF and insertation on cisco 2901.

Press the eject button.

Hi,

There is no eject button, if you see the rear part of the router...there is a screw i think i need to loose that and press the card.

pls. confirm.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco