Views
Helpful
Replies

Password Types

JohnRosso3555
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I saw a good article about the different password types that Cisco offers. I am currently using Type 9. Would this be the most secure?

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

Yes, I am using Gibraltar 16.12.x IOS-XE and type 9 is supported using a manual logon for both EXEC & PRIV.

Do you think using Microsoft NPS radius for AD logon would actually weaken the security posture of the switch?

Not sure if Microsoft supports type 9.

Hi,

Not sure about NPS but if you are looking for an authentication server Aruba ClearPass is a great product, easy to set up, easy to use, and intuitive. It is a complete NAC solution without the complicity of ISE and ACS.

https://cdw-prod.adobecqms.net/content/dam/cdw/on-domain-cdw/brands/aruba/ds-clearpass-policymanager.pdf?cm_ven=acquirgy&cm_cat=google&cm_pla=S3+HPE+Aruba&cm_ite=ClearPass+B&ef_id=CjwKCAjwo4mIBhBsEiwAKgzXONWTOswGvJv4VPHLgXZCNp3d4bFEA80uTQ5ba1SyJrwdjE...

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ClearPass/CP_ReleaseNotes_6.8.0/Content/WhatsNew/NewFeatures_PolicyMgr.htm

HTH

inderdeeps
Level 4
Level 4

@JohnRosso3555 : Password Type 9: These use the SCRYPT hashing algorithm defined in the informational RFC 7914. SCRYPT uses 80-bit salt, 16384 iterations. It’s very memory expensive to run the algorithm and therefore difficult to crack. Running it once occasionally on a Cisco device is fine though, this is currently the Best Practice Type password to use. I have not proven it but I believe it is possible that the popular tool HashCat is able to decrypt these.

Go ahead !

Hello

Yes algorithm-type scrypt (type 9) is the most secure

example:
username Fred privilege 15 algorithm-type scrypt secret xxxx

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card