Replies

PBR with Cisco VSS

Ahmed Shahzad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to configure PBR on SVI of Cisco VSS but it is not working:

IOS version is:

Cisco IOS Software, s72033_rp Software (s72033_rp-IPSERVICESK9_WAN-M), Version 12.2(33)SXH6, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Configuration is given below:

access-list 20 permit 10.153.5.41 // trying to define another default gateway for this appliance.

route-map PBR_WSA permit 10
match ip address 20
set ip default next-hop 10.154.16.1

int vlan 3005
ip policy route-map PBR_WSA

Please note that there is a default route exist in the routing table.

Can you guide me where is the prbolem; either it is a bug or issue in configuration.

Best Regards,

Shahzad.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mshahzad@hotmail.com

Thanks Jon.

I have tried both options set ip default next-hop and set ip next-hop but it does not work.

Please note that I want packet route using routing table except default route and then the PBR.

Any idea how to achieve it.

How are you verifying it doesn't work ? Some people simply check the acl for hitcounts but because of hardware switching you often don't see hitcounts. Are you tracerouting to the destination ?

As for use routing table (except default-route) and then PBR as far as i know you can't do this. You either use the routing table (including default-route) and then PBR or use PBR and then routing table. So the only way to use the routing table first and then PBR would be to remove the default-route and include all the other traffic in your PBR config ie. send the traffic for your specific host to one next-hop and then send all other traffic to another next-hop. This would work fine if you only had the one L3 vlan interface eg. vlan 3005 in your example, but i suspect on your 6500s you have many other L3 vlan interfaces and they use the default-route as well ?

So when you say it isn't working do you mean PBR isn't working at all or just that you cannot get it to use routing table (without default) and then PBR ?

If it isn't working at all then i can't see anything wrong with your config although i usually use extended acls in the PBR config because i have seen issues sometimes when you don't.

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Shahzad

"set ip default next-hop" means use the routing table first and if there is no route then use the next-hop configured with PBR. But because you have a default-route in the routing table there is a route to the destination and this will be used.

You need to use "set ip next-hop" which means use PBR before consulting the routing table.

Jon

Thanks Jon.

I have tried both options set ip default next-hop and set ip next-hop but it does not work.

Please note that I want packet route using routing table except default route and then the PBR.

mshahzad@hotmail.com

Thanks Jon.

How are you verifying it doesn't work ? Some people simply check the acl for hitcounts but because of hardware switching you often don't see hitcounts. Are you tracerouting to the destination ?

As for use routing table (except default-route) and then PBR as far as i know you can't do this. You either use the routing table (including default-route) and then PBR or use PBR and then routing table. So the only way to use the routing table first and then PBR would be to remove the default-route and include all the other traffic in your PBR config ie. send the traffic for your specific host to one next-hop and then send all other traffic to another next-hop. This would work fine if you only had the one L3 vlan interface eg. vlan 3005 in your example, but i suspect on your 6500s you have many other L3 vlan interfaces and they use the default-route as well ?

So when you say it isn't working do you mean PBR isn't working at all or just that you cannot get it to use routing table (without default) and then PBR ?

If it isn't working at all then i can't see anything wrong with your config although i usually use extended acls in the PBR config because i have seen issues sometimes when you don't.

Jon

Ahmed Shahzad
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Jon,

I am checking counts on "show route-map PBR_WSA" and could not found any hit.

There are number of SVIs and the requirement is one host behind an SVI use routing table (except default route) and a customize L3 interface for all other traffic.

Best Regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card