cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ping Issue

Naveen Costa
Level 1
Level 1

There is this small problem with my setup that I can't figure out. What I want to achieve simply is gain remote access to my switch from the laptop.

I have two VLAN's for Data and Management,

Data VLAN 60 (10.60.0.230/24)

Management VLAN 99 (10.61.0.230/24).

I have configured a sub interface on the router for VLAN 99 and there is no issue pinging to that interface (g0/0.99). But I can't seem to figure out why I cannot ping the other router interface (s0/1/0).

Heres the link to the Packet tracer file - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_EUBH4uAQzhdn2rgPA2fif3LnCcZ5FtU/view?usp=sharing

19 Replies 19

Hi Deepak,
I agree with you totally. It was just an attempt to figure out if such a thing was possible.
In the real world scenario I wanted to gain access to all my Branch switches from HQ and also there is a firewall at the branch instead of the router.

Sorry for Typo: "Unable" to understand the VLAN for VLAN 60 because of no VLAN on the router.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

--> As I checked that Switch is taking source VLAN 60 for sending a ping command but the router is denying because it will enable to understand the VLAN tagging for VLAN 60

I don't understand what difference that would make, to be honest. Even if you shut down Vlan 99, the ping would still not work (and it would be sourced from Vlan 60), because there is no corresponding layer 3 (sub)interface on the router. What does that have to do with Vlan tagging ?

I wanted to know if I could have multiple management interfaces. As I can understand now, the only option would be to use a L3 switch and configure a route to the remote network. Correct me if I'm wrong.

HI,

@Georg Pauwen VLAN tagging and enable were my typo and this mistake accepted by me in another commend but old comment was not updated.

ping source.png

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card