cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PoE not working

Christer Lind
Level 1
Level 1

We bought a 3560 PoE switch to replace tons of PoE-injectors but when connecting the devices our logs were flooded with

Mar 11 15:09:20.725: %ILPOWER-7-DETECT: Interface Fa0/7: Power Device detected: IEEE PD

Mar 11 15:09:20.725: %ILPOWER-5-INVALID_IEEE_CLASS: Interface Fa0/7: has detected invalid IEEE class: 7 device. Power denied

Mar 11 15:09:20.968: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/8, changed state to down

Mar 11 15:09:20.985: %ILPOWER-7-DETECT: Interface Fa0/7: Power Device detected: IEEE PD

Mar 11 15:09:20.985: %ILPOWER-5-INVALID_IEEE_CLASS: Interface Fa0/7: has detected invalid IEEE class: 7 device. Power denied

While the message seems quite clear im wondering if there's any workaround on the problem?

13 Replies 13

jawad-mukhtar
Level 4
Level 4

Kindly check dis.

Switch(config)# int x/y

Switch(config-if)# power inline port 2x-mode

Switch(config-if)# shut

Switch(config-if)# no shut

*** Do Rate Hlepful Posts ***

Jawad

Thank you for your reply.

It would appear the command isn't working.

3560PoE(config-if)#power inline port 2x-mode

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

What does the 2x-mode do?

Do you have this switch plugged into an UPS? Poor power quality can cause weird POE problems.

We actually do. Never knew this could be causing problems. This is extremely helpful and we'll make sure to try without the UPS.

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Christer,

The message itself means that a powered device is no longer connected to the switch or that the connected powered device is being powered by an external AC power source. No power is on the switch PoE port.

Please check the below suggestion:

1- Check the cable connected to the port. Also if possible change the ports on the switch and check.

2- try configuring the command on switch(config) #Power inline delay shutdown 20 initial 100 (/interface command "power inline never" and the repetitive logs will go away.)

3- If the device is in Stack mode kindly remove the switch from stack and reboot the device.

HTH

Regards

Inayath

*Plz rate the usefull posts.

Thank you for your reply!

InayathUlla Sharieff wrote:

Hi Christer,

The message itself means that a powered device is no longer connected to the switch or that the connected powered device is being powered by an external AC power source. No power is on the switch PoE port.

Just putting the idea out there but could the problem im having be related to me unplugging the ethernet-cable from a PoE-injector and within 1-2 seconds plugging it into the switchport? The wifi basestation might think its still powered on and causing the problem?

2- try configuring the command on switch(config) #Power inline delay shutdown 20 initial 100

I'm not able to execute this command. The firmware of the switch seems to be too old.

Hi Crister,

Yes could be. Just make sure first unplug all the cable from transiever than go on putting it back one by one.

2- how about poewr inline never command ?

Regards

Inayath

Just to clairify; We want to power our plugged in devices with the PoE from the switch, rather than with PoE-injectors.

And my understanding is that the power inline never command disables PoE on the port altogether, doesn't it? So that would be working against what we're trying to achieve

Hi Cris,

Yes you are right. So let us make your life easier.

Kindly check the following things as suggested above:

1- Check the Cable.

2- Check the power/UPS( i.e connecting through UPS and without).

3- Power inline never(never—Data interface only The supervisor engine never powers up the interface, even if an unpowered phone is connected. This mode is only needed when you want to make sure power is never applied to a PoE-capable interface.this was just to let you know to prevent the errors which are been displayed on the logs.

4- If all this above steps doenst solve try rebooting the device once.

5- Then probably we will do the TDR test for the cable.(

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-18983#comment-9396 -Very good document on how to test the same.)

HTH

Regards

Inayath

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I've seen A LOT of these exact messages during our rollout of wireless access points.  ALL OF THEM were caused by faulty cabling.  Unfortunately, your switch does not support TDR otherwise you could potentially do a line test, then and there, to determine at what length is the faulty pair and what kind of fault.

Do you have a switch with GigabitEthernet, even though it's not PoE?

Thanks for your reply.

Your comment has been duly noted.

However, something that keeps bugging me is the fact that the cables work fine with our PoE injectors, and has been working fine for years.. Now, maybe the switch is more "aware" of a bad cable?

We might have a switch with TDR laying around, ill make sure to look for one tomorrow.

However, something that keeps bugging me is the fact that the cables work fine with our PoE injectors, and has been working fine for years.. Now, maybe the switch is more "aware" of a bad cable?

So have we.  But when we started migrating from injectors to PoE, things started falling apart.

I guess the question is , is there anything different about this device than others that are plugged in.  Also be aware just because you bought a POE switch doesn't mean it can supply power across every single port for the maximum poe class  , check the power budget and see if you are maxed out already with what you have plugged in .

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/troubleshooting/g_power_over_ethernet.html#wp1028281

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: