Views
Helpful
Replies

Pool Manager process 40%

globalnettech
Level 5
Level 5

Hello all,

I have a problem with the CPU utilization on my Cisco 7206VXR router. The 'Pool Manager' process is consistently using about 40% of the CPU. I cannot really figure out what is using this process. I did a bug search for IOS 12.2(17a), but cannot find anything. Does anybody have an idea what this specific process is being used for ?

Thanks a bunch in advance for your help.

Regards,

GNT

5 Replies 5

globalnettech
Level 5
Level 5

In addition to my previous post, it might be useful to know that I am running a number of IPX tunnels on the router that shows the high CPU utilization due to the Pool Manager process.

Thanks for your help in advance.

GNT

Hi ,

can you paste the show-tech of router.

Thanks,

satish

Hello Satish,

thanks for your answer. Actually, for security reasons, unfortunately I cannot post the 'show tech' since it is a company router. I guess if I can figure out what the Pool Manager process means/does, that would already get my a giant leap closer to the solution...

GNT

Hi,

Pls.. let us know that processing engine it is....

Becz it happens with npe-200 router shelfs in some Cisco IOS Release...

A memory leak may occur in the Pool Manager process which after several days can deplete the amount of free processor memory to the extent where a system reload occurs. This does not affect NPE-300 VXR router shelves.

There is no workaround also...... But as you said, i don't find any bug for the version that you mentioned...

Rate if it does,

Rgs

Hello,

thanks for the tip, I checked the engine, and it is indeed the NPE-300.

One thing I noticed is that when the CPU is high, the huge buffers pool is completely exhausted. Could the depletion of the huge buffers pool, the Pool Manager process, and the high CPU be related ?

Regards,

GNT

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card