Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about IOS on a Cisco Switch Model

Kevin Melton
Level 2
Level 2

Forum

I am configuring some quotes for a customer whom I will be building a wireless network for.  The wireless network will support about 60 AP's, as well as some other wired drops.  The customer is working with a wireless vendor for the AP's, but I will be able to sell the switches for the network.

I want to ensure that he is pushing Gig and POE on each copper port for the AP's, since they will be "N" capable.  I have selected several 3560 models which are in 24 port models, and I also think i have a requirement which mandates a 48 port in another location.  What I have not been able to find in the Enterprise switch line is an 8 port which supports IOS and POE.

That being said, and since I am also "Select" certified, I went out to the SMB site, and did find that there were two models in the Small Business 300 line (models SG300-10P and SG300-10MP) which seem to support Gig ports as well as POE.  I looked over the specs for each one of the two respective models, and I was not able to find what the difference between each of these two are.  In other words, the specs, line by line, were identical.  Can anyone tell me what is the difference between the 10P and the 10MP?

Also, I saw in the specs that each of these has a console port.  Does this mean that they are IOS switches?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Kevin,

The difference between the SG300-10P and SG300-10MP is the total amount of power a switch can supply  to ports (PoE). For SG300-10P is 62W (means 4 ports x 15.4 w) and for SG300-10MP (MP = Max PoE) is 124W (which means 8 ports x 15.4 W). If your PoE devices are using maximum - 15.4 W then consider MP version.

The data has been checked in this document in the 48 page "managed switch models" table:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/csbms/sf30x_sg30x/administration_guide/78-19308-01.pdf

There you can view the other options too.

Best regards,

Alex

EDIT: No IOS. The switches are Gigabit SG models are giga, SF models are fast ethernet (10/100)

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
What I have not been able to find in the Enterprise switch line is an 8 port which supports IOS and POE.

The only 8- or 12-port PoE Catalyst switch that will support PoE is the 3560-8PC or the 3560-12PC (FastEthernet copper ports).  I cannot comment on the compact versions of the 2960C or the 3560C.

I want to ensure that he is pushing Gig and POE on each copper port for the AP's, since they will be "N" capable.

1.  Does the AP support 15.4W of PoE or higher?

2.  Don't trust what the sales people say.  Borrow a few of the APs for testing otherwise you'll pay dearly.

As for yoru second reply, I am basically trying to find out 2 things:

1. What is the difference between the SG300-10P and the SG300-10MP?  These are completely different models than the compact versions of the 2960C or the 3560C. 

2.  Do each (or any) of the SG models mentioned above, support IOS?

If you do not know, its OK.  Let somebody who does know answer the post.  Thank You.

With respect to your 1st answer, the qualifier from my original post was Gig E based on "N".  Correct me (with a link) if I am wrong, but those only do 10/100.

thx

Scrutinize the POE specs on any switch , sometimes they cannot give full power across all 24 ports , we ran into this try to run poe phones on a 3560 and  we had to manually restrict the power down on the switch .

Hi Kevin,

The difference between the SG300-10P and SG300-10MP is the total amount of power a switch can supply  to ports (PoE). For SG300-10P is 62W (means 4 ports x 15.4 w) and for SG300-10MP (MP = Max PoE) is 124W (which means 8 ports x 15.4 W). If your PoE devices are using maximum - 15.4 W then consider MP version.

The data has been checked in this document in the 48 page "managed switch models" table:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/csbms/sf30x_sg30x/administration_guide/78-19308-01.pdf

There you can view the other options too.

Best regards,

Alex

EDIT: No IOS. The switches are Gigabit SG models are giga, SF models are fast ethernet (10/100)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card