Views
Helpful
Replies

Question for c9200L-24T-4x

Hubsi-Smith
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have 2 questions about the C9200L-24T-4X.

1. Does the uplink ports supports 1G and 10GB and I could mix them? Also 2 uplink port connect via 1GBit and 2 uplink ports with 10GBit?

2. I have a really poor multimode fibre... it is maybe only OM1 or OM2. I am using this still with 1GBit and it works fine.

I am not sure how the c9200 handle this poor connection.  Whats happen if I put a 10GBit SFP in? Are there any error messages, or led or something else if there is a problem with the fibre cable?

Best regards

Hubsi

4 Replies 4

inderdeeps
Level 4
Level 4

This switch as 4x 1/10G fixed uplinks, You can use either 1 Gig or 10 Gig or mix of them, Whatever SFP/SFP+ used should be same on other side as well in order to to be in Sync.

Well C9200 is well capable of handling the 10G SFP+, so you will not have any issue with that.Check out below for further info
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9200-series-switches/nb-06-cat9200-ser-data-sheet-cte-en.html

Regards

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1. Does the uplink ports supports 1G and 10GB and I could mix them? Also 2 uplink port connect via 1GBit and 2 uplink ports with 10GBit?

BB - it support boths based on SFP Optic you use.

2. I have a really poor multimode fibre... it is maybe only OM1 or OM2. I am using this still with 1GBit and it works fine.

I am not sure how the c9200 handle this poor connection. Whats happen if I put a 10GBit SFP in? Are there any error messages, or led or something else if there is a problem with the fibre cable?

BB - check the distance requirement, MM should work for you.

if you put 10GB SFP it takes - again Fibre lenth comes in to play.

reference :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/transceiver-modules/white_paper_c11-463661.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

One last question... now about singlemode fibre

I have one c9300 and one c9200, I would connect them via single-mode fibre in a etherchannel.

The way looks like: c9300 <-> patchpanel 1 <-> patchpanel 2 <-> c9200

I know that patchpanel 1 has a OS1 cable... but the type of patchpanel 2 is unknown. That one is really old (2005) and I am unsure if I could mix OS1 with OS2 singlemode fibres.

I checked this side here: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/transceiver-modules/data_sheet_c78-455693.html#CiscoSFP10GLRmodule

But I don´t know if SFP-10GB-LR supports mixed cables.

The way looks like: c9300 <-> patchpanel 1 <-> patchpanel 2 <-> c9200

Keep the Porchannel ids the same between the 2 switches.

c9300 <-> patchpanel 1 <-> patchpanel 1 <-> c9200

But I don´t know if SFP-10GB-LR supports mixed cables.

As long as the fiber is single-mode, the LR optics should work fine. The difference between OS1 and 2 is just the way they have been constructed and should not have anything to do with the optical layer.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card