Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Rate-mode Dedicated Force

Hi All,

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/interfaces-modules/nexus-7000-m1-series-32-port-10gb-ethernet-module/116262-problemsolution-product-00.html

The above document for a N7K-M132XP-12 line card states, configuring rate-mode dedicated force on an interface will be a disruptive change. For example, I configure Port Eth6/2 with rate-mode dedicated force. Will this affect other port groups in the same line card or ports in other line cards? What does disruptive change really mean in the document?

Appreciate all your inputs on this and thank you in advance.

Carlos

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

abache
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

The "rate mode dedicated force" command when specified on the first port in a port group will cause all the available 10GB of bandwidth to use that port only and disable the remaining ports in that port group.

So in the example given in the link you provided, they used this command on Eth1/1 which would result in ports Eth1/3, Eth1/5 and Eth1/7 getting disabled. So if you had connections in any of those 3 ports, this change would be disruptive to those connected devices.

The remaining port groups will be unaffected by this change (unless you apply the same command to their group of course)

View solution in original post

Hi

The first ports in each port group are outlined are the lowest port IDs in the port group allocations.

If you refer again to the link you provided initially, it lists the 8 port groups. Interfaces 1, 2, 9, 10, 17, 18, 25 and 26 are the first ports in each port group and the only ones you can configure in dedicated mode.

If for example, you only had the 4 ports active you listed above and didn't configure "rate-mode dedicated force" on any port, then essentially you're sharing 10GB bandwidth across all 4 ports in the same port group. However since you only have one active connection in each port group, then essentially that port is getting the full 10GB anyway (i.e. same behaviour as the command "rate-mode dedicted force" would've given you)

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

abache
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

The "rate mode dedicated force" command when specified on the first port in a port group will cause all the available 10GB of bandwidth to use that port only and disable the remaining ports in that port group.

So in the example given in the link you provided, they used this command on Eth1/1 which would result in ports Eth1/3, Eth1/5 and Eth1/7 getting disabled. So if you had connections in any of those 3 ports, this change would be disruptive to those connected devices.

The remaining port groups will be unaffected by this change (unless you apply the same command to their group of course)

Okay, thanks. So I'm assuming it shouldn't affect or disrupt ports on other line cards as well. Just wanted to make sure.

One more query, if I only have 4 ports active on that line card, say ports 2, 10, 9 and 17, which are all first ports in each group. Will those be able to forward traffic at line rate 10Gig without the rate-mode dedicated force command? 

Hi

The first ports in each port group are outlined are the lowest port IDs in the port group allocations.

If you refer again to the link you provided initially, it lists the 8 port groups. Interfaces 1, 2, 9, 10, 17, 18, 25 and 26 are the first ports in each port group and the only ones you can configure in dedicated mode.

If for example, you only had the 4 ports active you listed above and didn't configure "rate-mode dedicated force" on any port, then essentially you're sharing 10GB bandwidth across all 4 ports in the same port group. However since you only have one active connection in each port group, then essentially that port is getting the full 10GB anyway (i.e. same behaviour as the command "rate-mode dedicted force" would've given you)

Thanks for the feedback. The problem is this isn't explicitly stated in the documentation. From how I understand it, the first port in each group will only be able to forward at 10Gig in dedicated mode and not in shared mode. Is there a way to verify this on the CLI?

Bump.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card