Views
Helpful
Replies

Removing provisioned switch - Cat 3750 stack

mj5150
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

We have a live stack with 4 Cat 3750 switches of mixed varieties.  Switch 1 crashed the other day and didn't come back up.  A power reset brought the switch online again, and switch 2 is now running as the stack master.  We are going to replace switch 1 in a staged approach to minimise client downtime.  Switch 1 is a ws-c3750-48ts and we will be replacing it with a ws-c3750g-48ts.  I will be pre-provisioning and installing the new switch into the stack as switch 5 and configuing the ports to be the same as switch 1.  The cables will then be moved over from switch 1 to switch 5 so the changeover time should be minimal.  When all cutover, I'll power down switch 1, reconfigure the stack cables and remove switch 1 from the stack.

My question is to what occurs next.  If I perform a 'no switch 1 provision ws-c3750-48ts' will I be left with switch 2 through to 5 (ie no switch 1)?  I can live with this moving forward.  I know I can renumber switch 5 to be switch 1 if I want, but my understanding is that I have to reload the member switch which is something I'd like to avoid at this stage.  In my reading, I saw the statement - "Note: You cannot use the switch current-stack-member-number renumber new-stack-member-number global configuration command on a provisioned switch. If you do, the command is rejected."  I'm a bit confused by this statement, I'm assuming that it is saying that if I do as above but don't issue the 'no switch 1 provision' command, I cannot renumber switch 5 to switch 1 but as long as I use the 'no switch 1 provision' command first, I can renumber switch 5 to switch 1?  Will all of my switch 5 port configuration information and any associated references (eg port-channel configuration etc) be changed from gi5/0/x to gi1/0/x if I do renumber?

Thanks in advance,

Mark J.

1 Reply 1

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Mark,

Can you have a look at this posting.

I think I answered a similar issue to yours there

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3688719#3688719

Regards,
Alex.
Please rate useful posts.

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card