Views
Helpful
Replies

replacing 3850 switch in stack

afsharki2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I can't seem to find solid documenation on replacing a bad 3850 in stack.  

I have a stack of 4 3850's and I need to replace the active member which has been having switchport problems.  I need to keep all the configurations the same.  does anyone know the quickest way of doing this?  i'm doing it during down-time.

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

1) Power down old switch and remove from stack
2) On new switch load same ios and feature set as exiting stack members
3) On new new switch change switch member number and priority  to the old switch member number and priority ( you can find this on the live stack by sh switch command as the provision from old switch should still exist

4)save the config and power down new switch
5) reattached new switch to stack via stackwise cabling and power new switch up

should be good to go.
res
paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Try this document:

Provisioning a New Member for a Switch Stack

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/3se/ha_stack_manager/configuration_guide/b_hastck_3se_3850_cg/b_hastck_3se_3850_cg_chapter_010.html#task_1177470

HTH

Hello

1) Power down old switch and remove from stack
2) On new switch load same ios and feature set as exiting stack members
3) On new new switch change switch member number and priority  to the old switch member number and priority ( you can find this on the live stack by sh switch command as the provision from old switch should still exist

4)save the config and power down new switch
5) reattached new switch to stack via stackwise cabling and power new switch up

should be good to go.
res
paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Thank you.  So, I don't have to upload the configs into the new switch?  It will do this automatically?

Hello

Nope - the provision should still be there ,So only what would be necessary would to do the above

Note: Install ios and renumber and prioritize the new switch when the new switch is NOT attached to the stack only when you have completed the steps above attach the switch powered down first, not when its powered up

Only when its physically connected again power up new switch, it should then join the stack as the same member as the last switch with the same priority also

res
Paul

Kind Regards
Paul

The whole stack will reboot anyways at the end though, right?  What if I powered everything down, swapped the 2 switches, then powered everything back on?

Hello

Replacing a failed switch wont make the whole stack to reload - but replacing 2 switches at the same time would depend on what role they were running and where they were located within the stack .

What if I powered everything down, swapped the 2 switches, then powered everything back on?

You may need to power up a good switch first and then add the second ( good or new), third etc. if you were to keep the same ordering and priorities ( but DONT power then up all at the same time.

Personally -I would check the cco documentation for multiple failed switch scenarios

res
Paul

Kind Regards
Paul

I tried this it doesn't take on the new 3850.

3) On new new switch change switch member number and priority  to the old switch member number and priority ( you can find this on the live stack by sh switch command as the provision from old switch should still exist

jessieo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Experts!

Please I need to know if the procedure describe by Paul and the link provided by Reza above applies to all the 

switches in the 3000 series family?

Thank you.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card