Views
Helpful
Replies

Reverse Telnet query

Noovi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

i am having reverse telnet query. Below is the my scenario. please help me to understand.

I have one Core switch and one access switch connected through trunk link with L3 configured on Core switch.

I just want to check reverse telnet setup for my access switch to get its console. 

Step.1 We need to connect Cable from Core switch Aux port to Access switch console port,

Q- Which cable to use? Can Cross over cable or Roll over cable to be use here? or any specific?

Step2. Configre Aux port on Core switch with transport input telnet and configure one loopback IP

Q- I have already one loopback configured on Core switch for its management. Can i use same loopback IP to take console of access switch?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @Noovi ,

there is no AUX ports on Cisco switches so the core switch cannot be used for reverse telnet.

about the cable either a straight on or a rollover cable are the right one.

The loopback address can be reused but for reverse telnet your are going to use a different TCP port something like 2000 + aux line number# as shown in show line.

You would need a router to be able to achieve this, as SW based routers have the AUX port.

Alternatively have someone with a laptop and a mobile hotspot  ( a smartphone or UTMS USB key) to connect to the console and use something like teamviewer to access its desktop.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @Noovi ,

there is no AUX ports on Cisco switches so the core switch cannot be used for reverse telnet.

about the cable either a straight on or a rollover cable are the right one.

The loopback address can be reused but for reverse telnet your are going to use a different TCP port something like 2000 + aux line number# as shown in show line.

You would need a router to be able to achieve this, as SW based routers have the AUX port.

Alternatively have someone with a laptop and a mobile hotspot  ( a smartphone or UTMS USB key) to connect to the console and use something like teamviewer to access its desktop.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card