Views
Helpful
Replies

rommon problem in Cisco 800 Series

SIAVASH KAZEMI
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody

I'm working on Cisco 888w router, the problem is that this router load in rommon mode,
I tried to use tftpdnld - set IP_ADDRESS, IP_SUBNET-MASK,... - but tftp server and router cannot ping eachother.

then try xmodem to upload IOS. (I copy IOS from one of the similar router)

during the uploading suddenly the router restart! (about 2%) and can't upload the IOS.

- try slower baudrate also, the problem is still remaining) 

- when use "dev"command in rommon mode, router cannot find any device and id (it seems flash corrupted!)

can anybody help me?

best regards

S.K

4 Replies 4

Glenn Quesenberry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

S.K.,  Have you seen these ROMMON recovery instructions located elsewhere here in the Support Community?  Instructions for many different router series are provided as well as the 800 series.

Best Regards,

Dear Glenn,

thanks for your reply,
unfortunatly I'm guest level user and when I want to read this article I get "Forbidden file or Application". (I don't have access to this article)

but read similliar article about rommon process, (alswo will be apperciate if you send the pdf for 800 series to me)

- The point is IOS uploading via xmodem start properly but why the router restart after some uploading?

Best Regards

880 router, you say.  Hmmmm ... Do you know you can actually boot the IOS from the USB stick?

1.  Not all USB stick are supported so get some ready.

2.  Format the USB stick with FAT16

3.  Copy the IOS into the stick and in ROMmon use the command "boot usbflash1:.bin".

Hope that helps.  Please don't forget to rate our useful posts.  Thanks. 

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Considering both symptoms you're reporting, I'm afraid that may indicate an hardware fault and you should look for a replacement.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card