cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Route single IP to a different default gateway; different firewall

pformanko
Level 1
Level 1

I am configuring a test firewall, and I need to route traffic from single PC, via this firewall, to the Internet.  

The firewall is configured with routing, inside and outside interfaces, access policy, and

- able to access both Internet and LAN

- reachable from the LAN

On the switch, we have a single default route pointing to the production firewall.  What is the easiest way to route traffic from a single IP to the test firewall for Internet access?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

on the switch, you could configure PBR to redirect traffic from that specific IP source address towards the test firewall. The configuration would look something like this:

access-list 101 permit ip host 192.168.1.10 any
!
route-map PBR_TEST_FW permit 10
match ip address 101
set ip next-hop x.x.x.x (where x.x.x.x the test firewall
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/0
description LAN interface
ip policy route-map PBR_TEST_FW

View solution in original post

Thank for the clarification, not sure what switch model, some model and switch IOS version has Access list issue. so you need to test it.

Then @Georg Pauwen suggestion is good to go, instead of gi0/0 you apply in the VLAN SVI Layer3 interface.

even if anything goes wrong, only single IP gets affected. make sure PC/ device has static IP.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Hello,

on the switch, you could configure PBR to redirect traffic from that specific IP source address towards the test firewall. The configuration would look something like this:

access-list 101 permit ip host 192.168.1.10 any
!
route-map PBR_TEST_FW permit 10
match ip address 101
set ip next-hop x.x.x.x (where x.x.x.x the test firewall
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/0
description LAN interface
ip policy route-map PBR_TEST_FW

Hi,

Thanks.  That is the approach I was taking, but wasn't sure where to apply the route-map. 

I am not able to apply it to the interface as it an access interface.  I was thinking about applying it to the interface VLAN the PC is part of, but as that is a production VLAN, I wasn't sure how that would affect the other traffic on that VLAN.

Is it safe to apply the route-map to the VLAN without some unintended issues?

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

some of the information not clear here?

if the switch acts Later 2 only ? (since you mentioned default routing ?)

what is the other device acting now as fw or routing in the network to the internet?

BB

Hi,

It is a layer 3 switch.  By default route, I meant gateway of last resort.  

S* 0.0.0.0/0 [1/0] via 10.x.x.x

This is the inside interface of the production firewall.  I would like to sent traffic from a single PC/IP to a different inside interface of a different firewall.

Thank for the clarification, not sure what switch model, some model and switch IOS version has Access list issue. so you need to test it.

Then @Georg Pauwen suggestion is good to go, instead of gi0/0 you apply in the VLAN SVI Layer3 interface.

even if anything goes wrong, only single IP gets affected. make sure PC/ device has static IP.

BB

pformanko
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you all!  That worked perfectly.  

Glad all worked, and thank you for the feedback.

BB

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card