cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routed port -> Access Port

gchevalley
Level 1
Level 1

In what situations would you pair a routed port on one end to an access port on the other, if ever?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you have a switch with an SVI/vlan and you peer it with a router using that SVI, the switch side can be an access port and the router side is a routed port.

HTH

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you have a switch with an SVI/vlan and you peer it with a router using that SVI, the switch side can be an access port and the router side is a routed port.

HTH

Is it an accepted practice though?  I know in some cases, such as with firewalls, this is accepted practice but have not seen this used in other cases, particularly when the IP address on the routed port isn't in the subnet associated with the VLAN Access port on the other.

You have introduced a very new dimension to the discussion. As far as connecting a routed port on one side with an access port of the other side, I would say that this is a generally accepted practice. You have now also introduced the aspect that the IP address on the routed port is not in the subnet associated with the access port. I do not know why someone would do this, other than it being a mistake. In general I would expect that any connection where the two sides are not in the same subnet would not pass IP traffic over that connection (with the exception where one side has configured ip unnumbered).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks, I'll have to look at it a bit closer.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: