cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router or Firewall

subarayarsooper
Level 1
Level 1

I am having a big doubt with router or firewall. I am the IT person of One college. I considered purchasing a firewall with 500 users support. But it is too costlier. So I considered a router only. But the vendor side is not okay with my decision. What can I do. Router or firewall?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @subarayarsooper 

This decision depends on the specific requirements of your college network. Both routers and firewalls serve distinct purposes, and the choice often depends on the level of security and functionality you need.

Router are primarily used for routing traffic between different networks. While routers often have basic firewall features, they might not provide the robust security features of dedicated firewalls.

Firewall are designed specificaly for managing and controlling network security. Firewall can enforce security policies, filter traffic based on rules, and provide intrusion prevention capabilities.

Your security needs ?

Router are suitable for basic security needs but may lack advanced threat protection features. On the other hand, Firewall provides more advanced security features like deep packet inspection, intrusion detection and prevention, VPN support, and content filtering.

Generally, routers are cost-effective solutions for basic routing needs. Dedicated firewalls can be more expensive, especially if they include advanced security features. However, they offer specialized security capabilities.

Also, consider the future growth of your college network. If you anticipate a significant increase in users or more stringent security requirements, investing in a firewall might be a more scalable option.

If budget constraints are a significant concern, you might explore firewall options that align with your college's security needs but are more cost-effective. Additionally, you can discuss specific requirements with the vendor to ensure that the chosen router meets the necessary security standards.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @subarayarsooper 

This decision depends on the specific requirements of your college network. Both routers and firewalls serve distinct purposes, and the choice often depends on the level of security and functionality you need.

Router are primarily used for routing traffic between different networks. While routers often have basic firewall features, they might not provide the robust security features of dedicated firewalls.

Firewall are designed specificaly for managing and controlling network security. Firewall can enforce security policies, filter traffic based on rules, and provide intrusion prevention capabilities.

Your security needs ?

Router are suitable for basic security needs but may lack advanced threat protection features. On the other hand, Firewall provides more advanced security features like deep packet inspection, intrusion detection and prevention, VPN support, and content filtering.

Generally, routers are cost-effective solutions for basic routing needs. Dedicated firewalls can be more expensive, especially if they include advanced security features. However, they offer specialized security capabilities.

Also, consider the future growth of your college network. If you anticipate a significant increase in users or more stringent security requirements, investing in a firewall might be a more scalable option.

If budget constraints are a significant concern, you might explore firewall options that align with your college's security needs but are more cost-effective. Additionally, you can discuss specific requirements with the vendor to ensure that the chosen router meets the necessary security standards.

Best regards

@subarayarsooper hi, you need to consider few facts on this decision. 

1. are you need granular threat prevention? use firewall

2. are you need granular logging and easy reviews? use firewall

3. are you have site to site VPNs and remote VPNs with advanced integration capabilities? recommending firewall

4. are you need load balancing, SD-WAN capabilities? firewall is cheaper in this option

5. are you looking for easy management interfaces? i prefer firewall.

In my personal view, i prefer firewall than router. It have more features and capabilities but bit costlier than router. and need annual subscriptions which may costlier than routers.

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

FW have security that router can not provide 
also VPN  anyconnect can apply to FW, make employe access network remotely  

MHM

VPN/AnyConnect can be configured on routers as well as firewalls. It is not common, and it is a bit awkward to configure. But I have done it for a couple of customers and it does work.

HTH

Rick

I know that not all router can have Anyconect. and it not simple like when you use FW.

ammahend
VIP
VIP

You got lot of good answers below, generally speaking, Most things router can do, a firewall can do as well but not vise versa, so go with firewall, make sure you account for firewall throughput and resources based on your environment.

-hope this helps-

@ammahend,

Firewalls often have more robust security features compared to routers. While routers primarily focus on routing packets between networks, firewalls are designed to inspect and control traffic based on security policies. Firewalls typically offer features such as stateful packet inspection, intrusion prevention, VPN support, and application-layer filtering.

The specific needs of your network will influence your decision. Some networks may require both routers and firewalls to address different aspects of connectivity and security. It's essential to carefully assess your requirements, consider future scalability -- design a solution that best meets your needs !

Best regards

KJK99
Level 3
Level 3

All very good answers here, but to me the choice is clear. I would go for a firewall. It is a collage network after all and you want to be able to secure and monitor Internet traffic there as much as you can.

Kris K

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

i believe the vendor has no say in your decision. it should be the other way around since you're their client/buyer.

you should consult with your stakeholders instead, i.e. college departments, with regards to your budget and network design.

you can start with a small/mid size router "hardened" with ACL, consider dual router for high availability and "upgrade" over time, i.e. upgrade to a "bigger" router, add firewall.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card