Views
Helpful
Replies

Router Recommendation Based on WAN Throughput

duncan_kennedy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I'm trying to identify a Cisco router that will give 300+Mbps through a 1Gb WAN port.  I think the 1921 can get up to around 300Mbps with the onboard RJ45 ports, but are there any other/better suitable models?

There's no need for any other particular functionality or feature set, the routers aren't doing anything fancy or unusual - it's the achieved throughput that's important.

Cheers

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Gregory Snipes
Level 4
Level 4

I don't think the 1921 can push 300Mbps, the 1941 can only push 153.

You would need to step up to a 2951 for roughly 300Mbps. This guide, is great for sizing routers to a requirement.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Gregory Snipes
Level 4
Level 4

I don't think the 1921 can push 300Mbps, the 1941 can only push 153.

You would need to step up to a 2951 for roughly 300Mbps. This guide, is great for sizing routers to a requirement.

duncan_kennedy
Level 1
Level 1

Very useful document, thanks.  I may be able to get away with a 2921 at 245Mbps.

Cheers.

I may be able to get away with a 2921 at 245Mbps.

No you won't. 

The document is a complilation of datum taken from Data Sheet.  Data Sheets are written by sales/marketing people so they tend to fudge the figures "a bit".

The value you are seeing are expressed in HALF duplex and without any encryption.

You want to know the figure when it's FULL duplex or full encryption?  Half the value.  How about if you want full duplex and full encryption?  Take the full value and divide it by four (4).

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

300+Mbps - total or duplex?

Cisco recommends a 3945 for the former or a 3945E for the latter.

A 1921 is documented as being capable of 2.77 Gbps (total), but that's just forwarding maximum size packets.  Cisco's recommendation for this platform is only 15 Mbps (duplex).

I've attached the Cisco document for ISR performance (which the foregoing number are drawn from).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco