cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing int he 2960

Mathias Garcia
Level 1
Level 1

Since we now can use static routing in our 2960's with LAN Base image.

1. Can we also configure routed ports, or are we stuck with SVI interfaces?

2. Has anyone seen or done any performance tests for routing in the 2960? I would expect it to be good if its done in the hardware.

It  seems to me that the 2960 has the potential to be a really cheap  gigabit capable router with high port density as long as we do

not to run any routing protocols or QoS functions.

Any opinions or thoughts to offer on the matter?

9 Replies 9

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, SVI only and on a layer-2 switch, you can only have one SVI and that is for management. So one IP only.

2. Has anyone seen or done any performance tests for routing in the 2960?

I have not, but I have seen a few complains in this forum about 2960 series.

If you have the budget, use 3560 instead. You can always do L-3 routing with proper license if you need to.

HTH

Reza

Reza that is not true anymore with the 2960 , with the latest code it is now a layer 2/3 switch that can route albeit only static routing no dynamic routing protocols .  So you can have multiple SVI's and it will route between those subnets.  Info about that here.  Routing is thru SVI's only.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_55_se/configuration/guide/swipstatrout.html

with the latest code it is now a layer 2/3 switch that can route albeit only static routing no dynamic routing protocols .

Yes and No.  Yes, the new 12.2(55) support static routing.  No because it ain't working.

Whats not  working ?  Did you configure the appropriate lanbase-routing SDM template ?

Hi Glen,

Yes.  Just as Matt has posted, the feature isn't working.  Maybe the new IOS release will fix this.

Thats interesting ,they couldn't have tested that version too well  to miss a major flaw like that . You would think on a major new feature like that it would have been thoroughly tested...

It works fine for all static routes save for the default.  You have to create two static routes as a workaround to get default routing to work:

ip route 0.0.0.0 128.0.0.0 x.x.x.x

ip route 128.0.0.0 128.0.0.0 x.x.x.x

Doing that gets it to work great.  Fix for that issue is going to be in 12.2(58)SE which is due out around March, 2011.

-Matt

sharifimr wrote:

Yes, SVI only and on a layer-2 switch, you can only have one SVI and that is for management. So one IP only.    

You've been able to have multiple SVI in 2960 for a while now, unless you had the LAN lite ios.

Just that routing wasnt implemented.

Anyways thanks for the response guy's. I look forward to when I get some lab time with a 2960 and can try it for myself.

And a point, I dont see the 2960 as replaceing true L3 switches in any more advanced implementations.

But It could come in use if you have a customer that does not need or afford the more advanced functions that you can get in for example a 3560.

But still wants to use sepparate VLANS and wants good performance between the VLANs. A cisco firewall or router with multiport and or gigabit routing isnt cheap either.

Matthew Blanshard
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I assume Leo is talking about CSCtj52611 where the default route doesn't work on the 2960s.

-Matt

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card