cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up Lab, Cannot get AP to connect to WLC

ChrisMc79
Level 1
Level 1

I am currently setting up a home lab, and I purchased a WLC 4402 and a 1142N access point. The AP is assigned an IP address through DHCP -- which is set up on the main router. I can ping the main router, and I can even ping 8.8.8.8 from the AP itself. I can also ping the WLC from the AP. So, everything is seeing each other.

However, it keeps saying "Could not discover WLC using DHCP IP. Renewing DHCP IP." And then, "Invalid event 38 & state 2 combination."

I found a thread that said the invalid event had to do with the time settings. I double checked both the WLC and the AP and the time is set exactly the same.

I had this working previously, but -- embarrassingly -- forgot to copy the running-config to start-config and when moving my rack closer to my computer unplugged it from the switch, where it obtains its power from. Now, for the life of me, I cannot get this thing to work again.

I know the equipment is older, but I just want this for test purposes -- I get to play with high-end stuff at work.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Chris

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@ChrisMc79 wrote:

Could not discover WLC using DHCP IP. Renewing DHCP IP.

DHCP Option 43 is not enabled. 

So if this is just a "lab", manually configure the AP using the command "capwap ap controller ip address <WLC MANAGEMENT IP address>".

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

as others have mentioned, you need to configure option 43 under DHCP config on your router:
R1(dhcp-config)#option 43 hex f104.<WLC IP HEX STRING>

see helpful link:

http://ccnawirelesswannabe.blogspot.com/2016/07/building-my-ccna-wireless-home-lab.html

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card