Views
Helpful
Replies

Single Internet link split between failover 5525 firewalls

kerryjcox
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I was finally able to get a secondary ASA 5525X firewall into my collocation facility. I have a single uplink to the Internet (collocation port on patch panel) from Gi0/0 on my primary 5525X. I have a /26 block of IP addresses, so I can easily allocate another IP on the 2nd firewall, but the uplink is restricted to a single patch port.

I figure I can drop this patch panel link into my C3750X switch, split it out between the two 5525X firewalls, and then set up Active/Standby Failover.

Wondering what the best way to configure the three ports on my C3750X (one for the connection to the uplinked patch panel, and two to the two firewalls). I am assuming I can simply place these three ports in their own VLAN and they should be good?

Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance.

Kerry

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Kerry,

You scenario should work fine.

You can connect the provider's patch to one of the ports on the 3750 and also connect the firewalls to 2 other ports on the 3750 and put all 3 ports in the same layer-2 vlan (access-port). This will give you firewalls redundancy but you still have a single point of failure on the link to your provider.

HTH

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Kerry,

You scenario should work fine.

You can connect the provider's patch to one of the ports on the 3750 and also connect the firewalls to 2 other ports on the 3750 and put all 3 ports in the same layer-2 vlan (access-port). This will give you firewalls redundancy but you still have a single point of failure on the link to your provider.

HTH

Just one addition to think about: If you only had one firewall and one internet-uplink before, then I assume that the internet-link was connected back-to-back and the 3750X is also your internal switch? Using the same device as inside and outside device is a bad security practice. In a worst case scenario this one switch can bridge around your firewall and remove this security control completely.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card