cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

single IP bound to 2 server mac address's.

seanbakers
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have 2 servers, one active, the other standby, both will be using the same IP. If the active fails then a re-patch for the standby to make this the active.

I undersatnd that i will need to clear the arp & maybe mac address table on the 6500 for the new active server to work, as the failed server will have its mac address on the 6500,.

is there a way around this so i dont have to clear the arp cache & clear the mac table?

EXAMPLE

SERVER                    IP                                   MAC

ACTIVE                    192.168.10.50                    0050:1234:5678:9101 

STANDBY                192.168.10.50                    0050:1234:5678:3896

Will a static arp entry work?

6 Replies 6

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would have thought that servers would G-ARP out its mac in the event of a switch over? This would mean that ARP tables are updated automatically? Meaning you wouldn't have to do anything. Is this not the case?

http://wiki.wireshark.org/Gratuitous_ARP

When you mean re-patch, is that physically re-patching cables?

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Only one server will be connected to the network at anyone time, it's not your traditional active/standby.

The active is connected to the network, if that fails, the standby will be physically connected to the network.

mfurnival
Level 4
Level 4

I agree with Bilal - when you plug in the new server it * should * do a gratuitous arp telling everyone to associate the IP address with its own MAC address. The switch and all devices attached to the network should then update their arp table accordingly. A static MAC entry would be no good as you would have to manually change the entry each time you had a switchover because the switch would have no knowledge of which entry it should be using at a given time.

This seems like an odd failover setup - what happens if it fails at 2am?

Do you not have the ability to do some form of adapter teaming on the server interfaces?

Hi

It is an odd setup agree, if it fails at 2am, there are ops guys that can re-patch.

The servers are located in different comms rooms, teaming can be done on the same server, but not on both?

We tested the fail over & the server would not connect unless the arp cache was cleared.

How long did you wait? If the server does not do a gratuitous arp then eventually the old entry would time out (after 5 minutes I think). You can verify this with "show mac-address table".

I should have said "network load balancing" rather than adapter teaming - it depends on what OS you are using on the server as to whether you can do this unless you invest in a physical load balancer.

to be fair it wasnt that long. 5 mins may be ok, the server is not critical.

I'll go back & test & time this.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card