cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Small switch with dot1Q-tunnel support

mathias
Level 1
Level 1

Which is the smallest/cheapest Cisco switch with dot1Q-tunnel support?

I'm looking for a suitable CPE to terminate a fiber with at a customer location, so it needs at least one SFP slot and one 1000Base-T port for q-tunnel handoff.

- Mat

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is that a "real" Cisco switch running IOS just like the bigger 2960s?

Does all 2960's running the LAN Image support dot1Q-tunnel, even the older 100M-models like

WS-C2960-24TC-L?

I've read the specs, but I can't find anything in there saying if it supports Q-tunneling or not

Searching for 802.1Q Tunneling feature in the Feature Navigator only lists 2960S at Platform which indicates that the smaller 2960 and 2960-C would not support it, and that's what I'm hoping for someone to confirm.

Thanks

Hi Mathias

I have similar issue with my WS-C2960+24TC-S    15.0(2)SE5           

C2960-LANLITEK9-M 

The weird thing is that on cisco feature navigator it says the Q in Q  IEEE 802.1 Tunneling is supported however i can't see the command on the interface

switchport mode dot1q-tunnel

Anyone can help please or confirm ?

Regards

Bernard

Is that a "real" Cisco switch running IOS just like the bigger 2960s?

Yes.

I just asked our Cisco partner about the 2960C and they first said it supported Q-in-Q, but when I then ordered it and they doublechecked with Cisco they came back and said, no it doesn't, the WS-C3560CG-8TC-S is the smallest switch with Q-in-Q support.

Have you actually used q-tunnel on the 2960C switch?

Q-in-Q support.

I must admit I mis-read your post.  When you mentioned dot1q tunneling I thought it was 802.1Q Trunking and I didn't realize you were talking about Q-in-Q.

Go to the Cisco Feature Navigator and go to Research Features. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card