Views
Helpful
Replies

SPT best practise

Sarafianl1980
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm looking for some direction around SPT best practise.  I'm wondering if its considered to be best practise that a switch should act as a root bridge where the first routable SVI instance is located.  IE. We have vlan 100 on switch A with the best priority sitting alongside the IP SVI vlan 100 so it's all nicely contained on one switch?  I know technically it should not matter since were comparing a L2 and L3 concept but what makes a good standard around this?

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

brselzer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

I would agree. You want to place your root on the same device as your gateway out of the network. This is because SPT tries to pick the best path to the root which in turn will pick the best path to your gateway. Also, your gateway/root switch tends to be the most powerful switch in your network, however, this isn't always the cast.

Hope that helps!

-Bradley Selzer
CCIE# 60833

View solution in original post

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
"I'm wondering if its considered to be best practise that a switch should act as a root bridge where the first routable SVI instance is located."

I wouldn't say it's a best practice, but it's often a common practice. It really depends on what your L2 and L3 topologies are. If the are congruent, then having have the root of your STP on the same device as the corresponding L3 gateway, often makes sense.

BTW, often common, if using a FHRP, a backup gateway is also often the secondary root bridge.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

brselzer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

I would agree. You want to place your root on the same device as your gateway out of the network. This is because SPT tries to pick the best path to the root which in turn will pick the best path to your gateway. Also, your gateway/root switch tends to be the most powerful switch in your network, however, this isn't always the cast.

Hope that helps!

-Bradley Selzer
CCIE# 60833

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
"I'm wondering if its considered to be best practise that a switch should act as a root bridge where the first routable SVI instance is located."

I wouldn't say it's a best practice, but it's often a common practice. It really depends on what your L2 and L3 topologies are. If the are congruent, then having have the root of your STP on the same device as the corresponding L3 gateway, often makes sense.

BTW, often common, if using a FHRP, a backup gateway is also often the secondary root bridge.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card