Views
Helpful
Replies

Stack cable inward current

BilalButt62333
Level 1
Level 1

I have two switches in stack 3750x and following message is shown

Error Message PLATFORM_STACKPOWER-4-CABLE_A_CURRENT_IN: Switch [dec] stack power
cable 1 inward current is over the limit 

Any solution and what is reason 

9 Replies 9

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Reason is, power cables have a limit to how much power they can carry.  (This restriction isn't often known.)

Solution is, your power "design" needs to consider this, especially in case a power supply fails.

For example, rather than every 3750 have a 1500W PS, each might need to use dual 750W PSs.

Cisco error documenation:

Error Message    PLATFORM_STACKPOWER-4-CABLE_A_CURRENT_IN: Switch [dec] stack power 
cable 1 inward current is over the limit

Explanation    Power cable 1 of the switch stack has an inward current that is over 40 A. Add another power supply to the switch stack. [dec] is the stack member number.

Recommended Action    Copy the message exactly as it appears on the console or in the system log. Research and attempt to resolve the error by using the Output Interpreter. Use the Bug Toolkit to look for similar reported problems. If you still require assistance, open a case with the TAC, or contact your Cisco technical support representative, and provide the representative with the gathered information. For more information about these online tools and about contacting Cisco, see the "Error Message Traceback Reports" section on page 1-7.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you post more information as below :

show version

show switch

show stack-power details

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

stack powerstack powerswitchswitchversionversion

I remember that I didn't attach stack-power cables but why this error occuring

"I remember that I didn't attach stack-power cables but why this error occuring"

Laugh, well that's a rather important datum!!!

This error just appeared recently and there were no network hardware and/or software changes made (at about the same time the error started to appear)? 

This datum, opens up various hardware and/or software issues.

@balaji.bandi suggestion to disable stack-power, would seem to a reasonable first step.

as per the output the stack is running standalone, is this intent of your setup?

try disabling power-stack and check :

stack-power switch 1 port 1 disable

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Yes actually I have just stacked them by using stack cables(picture attached)

images.jpeg

only for many months but not stacked their power(not used any stack power cables) so then why this error even occured 

The following pic shows the power budgeting on switch 1, if you see allocated power in Powerstack-1 I think it's more than usual can we edit it or any other suggestion

powerstack.jpg

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card