cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

StackPower Overcurrent error

gocarroll
Level 1
Level 1

I am currently receiving the following syslog warnings from one of my 3750-X stacks:

Feb  8 18:04:31.475: %PLATFORM_STACKPOWER-4-CABLE_A_CURRENT_OUT: Switch 1 stack power cable 1 outward current is over the limit
Feb  8 18:04:31.475: %PLATFORM_STACKPOWER-4-CABLE_B_CURRENT_OUT: Switch 1 stack power cable 2 outward current is over the limit

The StackPower cables were connected properly when i started getting this warning in my syslogs. All of the stacks share the same IOS version, approximately the same number of users evenly distributed across the switches, the same number of switches per stack and we have had these switches in production for 3 months.

Here is the rundown of my environment:

Stacks: 4

Switches per stack: 3

Power supplies: 1 - 1100w / switch

IOS version: 12.2 (55) SE1

Users per switch: 27 +/- 7

POE: Not used

Removing the StackPower cables and reloading the switches (hard power or reload command) does stop the warning from being generated, but once the cables are re-attached, the warning does return.

The other 3 stacks are not generating these warnings to the syslog which leads me to believe that I may have a bad switch.

Any ideas on how to clear this up, or will I need to have my procurement team work on getting a replacement?

Thank you in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Shashank Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Gary,

The logs indicate a hardware failure with switch 1 in the stack. Please raise TAC case and get the switch replaced.

Hope this helps,

Shashank

P.S.Please rate if you found the content useful.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Shashank Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Gary,

The logs indicate a hardware failure with switch 1 in the stack. Please raise TAC case and get the switch replaced.

Hope this helps,

Shashank

P.S.Please rate if you found the content useful.

fmaglietta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Gary, I have the same problem, can you find the solution?

Thanks

Regards.

Federico Maglietta

This was a hardware issue.

We had it fail this morning to the point where we could not get it back online.

I am getting the syslog error still, but that is just an item stuck in memory at this point and the stack requires a reload. I couldn't do the reload this morning since the users on the other 2 switches were online with no issues.

I am also getting the same error,but in my case i am not using the power stack feature,still getting this type of error.what is cause of it and how to resolve this.

*Jul 15 05:32:10.091: %PLATFORM_STACKPOWER-4-CABLE_A_CURRENT_OUT: Switch 1 stack power cable 1 outward current is over the limit

*Jul 15 05:33:10.227: %PLATFORM_STACKPOWER-4-CABLE_A_CURRENT_OUT: Switch 1 stack power cable 1 outward current is over the limit

*Jul 15 05:34:10.364: %PLATFORM_STACKPOWER-4-CABLE_A_CURRENT_OUT: Switch 1 stack power cable 1 outward current is over the limit

*Jul 15 05:35:10.500: %PLATFORM_STACKPOWER-4-CABLE_A_CURRENT_OUT: Switch 1 stack power cable 1 outward current is over the limit

Regards,

Wajid

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

StackPower does have a limitation to how much power can be transferred between stack members (40A I recall?).  I would suspect this message is intended for drawing too much power.

If that's not actually happening (which I assume we're not since you can power up the stack with the StackPower cables removed), then we're probably looking at a software bug or hardware defect.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card