cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

StackWise Virtual on C9500-40X

bledi_vako
Level 1
Level 1

I need to select 6 new switches, and the model that fits my requirement in terms of ports is "C9500-40X".

I also need to implement Stack technology on them but according to the datasheet the StackWise Virtual is not supported yet on "C9500-40X" model.

Cisco Catalyst 9500 Series Switches Data Sheet - Cisco

What does it mean "Not Supported Yet" ? It will not be supported forever, or we are expecting for a new IOS that will support StackWise on "C9500-40X" later ?.

Thanks,

Bledi Vako

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tomas de Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Bledi,

The "C9500-24Q" supports Stackwise Virtual today.  The "C9500-40X" is **supposed"" to add Stackwise-V support in IOS release 16.8 release in March CY18.  The version release & timeframe is a target and not written in stone.  So this information is provided to give you an idea of when to expect this and to let you know it is on ther roadmap.

regards,

T.

View solution in original post

30 Replies 30

David Hild
Level 11
Level 11

I can't answer the question about "if it will not be supported", or if a future IOS will enable it. But I do know the WS-C3850-48XS meets the criteria. It supports 48-ports of 1/10G (SFP+), 4-ports of 40G and Stackwise Virtual. Plus, in 2018 it will support DNA.

Until such time as SWV is supported on the C9500-40X, this will be the only option. I hope this is helpful.

WS-C3850-48XS does not support Stackwise Virtual, it's previous models like WS-C3850-24XS, WS-C3850-12XS do support it.

Refer to below Cisco link:

Cisco Catalyst 3850 Series Switches Data Sheet - Cisco

Hi Ummer.

I believe you may have misunderstood Table 1 in the datasheet you shared. The far-right column is for Stackwise-480, which is the external hardware stacking mechanism. The WS-C3850-48XS does not support Stackwise-480 because it does not have physical stack ports.

Stackwise Virtual is similar to what other manufacturers call "Stacking-over-Ethernet" or "front-panel stacking" because it uses the Ethernet interfaces on the front of the switch and uses standard optics for connection. The only switch model of the 3850 family that supports Stackwise Virtual is the WS-C3850-48XS, but the other XS models will support it when version 16.8 is released (should be very soon).

I hope this is helpful.

Tomas de Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Bledi,

The "C9500-24Q" supports Stackwise Virtual today.  The "C9500-40X" is **supposed"" to add Stackwise-V support in IOS release 16.8 release in March CY18.  The version release & timeframe is a target and not written in stone.  So this information is provided to give you an idea of when to expect this and to let you know it is on ther roadmap.

regards,

T.

Many Thanks Tomas,

What about Catalyst C9500-12Q model? Will Stackwise-V be supported in future IOS releases, and when do we expect it?

Best,

Bledi.

Bledi,

We don't discuss road map features and future release dates in the public Cisco Communities.

I recommend you check out the Cisco Customer Connection - a private community and online user group program for Cisco customers and partners. The Security CCP track provides monthly technical and roadmap briefings, and since members are under NDA, they are free to discuss and request information about future releases and product features.

Cisco Customer Connection

Kelli Glass

Moderator for Cisco Customer Communites

We just picked up a pair of C9500-40X's and are looking to stack them as soon as the IOS supports it. Hope to get an update on this real soon!

audet
Level 1
Level 1

Just picked up 3 pairs of 9500-40x's as well..  Hoping this will be supported soon. 

I really do not want to return these for 6800's.

Jagbir Kang
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

SWV is supported on 9500 as of today

Release Notes for Cisco Catalyst 9500 Series Switches, Cisco IOS XE Fuji 16.8.x - Cisco

Starting with this release, the feature is also supported on the following models of the Cisco Catalyst 9500 Series Switches:

• C9500-24Q
  • C9500-12Q
  • C9500-40X
  • C9500-16X

This is excellent news! Thanks for the heads up!

There is yet another big caveat on the adoption of SWV on the 40X - you can only use the last 4 ports of 10G ports. No uplink module therefore 40G SWV ports are allowed.

Not sure if that is now yet another later release........

Hello Chris,

I am Arun Bhat, product manager for SWV. We are working on allowing SVL links on the 40G modular uplinks: the feature is on the roadmap.

The current limitation of final 4 ports is due to an internally found issue and it is being patched. Will update the release notes as soon as the caveats are fixed.

Hi Arun,

And regarding to C9500-16X chassis, this SVL links on the 40G modular uplinks will also be available in a future release?

Hello Hugo,

40G modular uplink SVL support is not yet committed to a release.

Thanks,

Arun

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card