cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Strange behavior with 3560s and RPS 2300

johnnylingo
Level 5
Level 5

I just installed an RPS 2300 in a small branch office that has a pair of WS-C3560-24PS switches.  There are two odd things I'm noticing:

1) When I do "show env rps", it shows the RPS detected but I don't get any information about it.

Switch#show env rps

SW  Status          RPS Name          RPS Serial#  RPS Port#

--  -------------   ----------------  -----------  ---------

1   Active          <>

2) When the switch loses power it fails over to the RPS just fine, but does not fail back to regular power automatically.  I have to unplug the RPS. 

I've installed same model RPS with a pair of 3750-Es switches, and in that case, "show env rps" from the switch shows me the RPS information, and failback happens when regular power is restored.

Is there something different about the 3560s, or did I miss something in the configuration?  The switches are running 12.2(55)SE7, IP Services.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Glenn Matthys
Level 1
Level 1

The switch not returning back to its own internal powersupply is normal. You have to use

power rps 1 port 1 mode standby

power rps 1 port 1 mode active

to have the switch switch back to its own powersupply. You could use the EEM to make it revert to the internal AC automatically.

I don't know about the missing information in show env rps.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Glenn Matthys
Level 1
Level 1

The switch not returning back to its own internal powersupply is normal. You have to use

power rps 1 port 1 mode standby

power rps 1 port 1 mode active

to have the switch switch back to its own powersupply. You could use the EEM to make it revert to the internal AC automatically.

I don't know about the missing information in show env rps.

Yes, just found via searching automatic failback is only supported on the 3560-E and 3750-E.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3669961#3669961

Also noticed the "power rps" commands are only supported on the 3560v2, so those won't work for me.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12-2_52_se/command/reference/3560cr/cli1.html#wpmkr11908996

What's funny is while the exec commands don't work, the config-mode commands do. 

Switch#power rps name serialnumber

Can not execute cmd on legacy switch 1

Switch#conf t

Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.

Switch(config)#power rps deviceid serialnumber

Oh well.  I've been wanting to replace the 3560s with 3750Gs, so this is yet another reason to do so!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco