cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SUP7-E QoS: service policy output not accepted when priority class has no policing

m.kafka
Level 4
Level 4

The following policy-map is rejected on copper interfaces running at 10Mbit/s, other interfaces (1Gbit/s or 100Mbit/s accept the same policy):

switch#sh policy-map Qos-VoIP-Output-Policy_access_port

Policy Map Qos-VoIP-Output-Policy_access_port

Class Qos-VoIP-Payload-QosGroup46

priority

Class Qos-VoIP-Control-QosGroup34

bandwidth remaining percent 5

Class class-default

dbl

Error message: "not enough bandwith remaining"

According to several whitepapers, feature descriptions and configuration guides the config should be OK.

Only when additional policing is configured on the priority queue the low speed interfaces will also accept the policy:

switch#sh policy-map Qos-VoIP-Output-Policy_access_port

Policy Map Qos-VoIP-Output-Policy_access_port

Class Qos-VoIP-Payload-QosGroup46

priority

police rate percent 15

conform-action transmit

exceed-action drop

Class Qos-VoIP-Control-QosGroup34

bandwidth remaining percent 5

Class class-default

dbl

Platform: Cat4500-series with SUP7-E, running

cat4500e-universalk9.SPA.03.03.00.SG.151-1.SG.bin, IP-Base license

AIs this an anomaly, "feature" or am I missing something?

3 Replies 3

Hello

Was the interface active and traffic was passing through, when you tried to apply the command ?

regards

Harish

Yes, the interface had a load of aprx. 1/255, a few packets per second, when I applied the command. I tried to apply the service-policy output a couple of times under different circumstances, always the same effect..

Other interfaces (with higher speeds) had a higher load when I applied the service-policy output and the command was accepted.

I can't imagine that the current interface load is the issue, I gave it a quick thought when it happened but abandoned the thought. The only significant difference is the current port-speed when the policy is applied.

The "remaining" refers explicitly to to the bandwidth not reserved for any other traffic class.

Rgds, MiKa

mvknl
Level 1
Level 1

Maybe the bendwidth remaining percent 5 results in a too low bandwidth value.I don't know whether the switch rejects 425kbit as a too low value for a queue? You might want to try to increase this value to 10% or assign a static bandwidth value to it.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card