cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch Advice Please

harkinscisco
Level 1
Level 1

I have one central server that will be tied into a switch with about 24 other server. I need to push large 200 GB+ video files from this central server out to all the other servers. We are ok with 10/100/1000 ports, we have plenty of time to move the data. This switch will have an uplink going into a Cisco 2950 switch, just in case that matters.

I was going to go with a WS-C2960S-48TS-S model switch but someone suggested the Cisco SG300-52.

WS-C2960S-48TS-S vs Cisco SG300-52

Pros & Cons?

Cost?

Throughput?

CLI?

Features?

Security?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Don't know much about SG300-52, but a quick glance at the data sheet indicates that the switch comes with 2 uplink ports (one copper and one fiber) but you can use only ONE of them at time and not both.  So if you need to uplink both ports, Etherchannel, etc..this may be an issue for you.  As for the other parts, I think SG300-52 is cheaper, but the throughput is better for 2960.  Cli, SG300-52 is GUI base but 2960 can do both gui and cli.  Also, there are more resources and familiarities for 2960 vsSG300-52. If you have the budget, I would go with the 2960, but this is just my opinion.

HTH

Reza

Thanks for your Opinion.

You mention the throughput is better on the 2960. Do you know what the actual performance differance is? 

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I was going to go with a WS-C2960S-48TS-S model switch but someone suggested the Cisco SG300-52.

You want 10Gb uplinks?  If you do, then get the "D" model suffix.

I agree with Reza (+5).  The "300" is designed for SOHO while the 2960S is more of an enterprise-class appliance.  If you have the funds, then the 2960S is really a no-brainer.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card