Helpful
Replies

Switch Back Up Path

AnandaHaidar
Level 1
Level 1

AnandaHaidar_0-1718171082919.png

Hello

I have a topology like in the picture. The cameras use PoE.
For example, take a real example, I unplugged the fo cable at switch-1 ( Only Te1/0/1), then the IP cam turned off and then turned on again after a while.

I want if the cable is removed, the CCTV will continue to run as normal. How do i configure it?

Thank you if you give me help

12 Replies 12

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Check switch-1  and Core-1  logs when you are doing this.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Richard Pidcock
Level 1
Level 1

Do your core switches have a connected etherchannel between them?  Are they running any type of load balancing protocol (i.e. HSRP or GLBP).  I wouldn't expect a camera to lose power from the switch when disconnecting and uplink but makes me wonder if some type of re-convergence is happening when you disconnect the cable.  Logs should give a good indicator of what is going on.  

Richard W. Pidcock

Yes, i am sorry. I mean the power of camera isn't off. But the stream and recording of camera is off. Almost 1 minute

Direct connection between core switches doesn't exist. Should i give it? 

there is no relation between shut the uplink and camera ON/OFF. 
MHM

Yes, i am sorry. I mean the power of camera isn't off. But the stream and recording of camera is off. Almost 1 minute

that explain the issue 
the Uplink you shut is STP FWD and that make SW elect new Port and hence the SW not forward traffic until new uplink is FWD 
I dont think other SW have same since the STP of all domain only BLK this SW uplink <<- must be correct the STP must BLK two uplink one in each SW and last SW dont have BLK Port.
so start check the uplink of other access SW

MHM

SW-2.jpgSW-1.jpgCore-2.jpgCore-1.jpg

I run this lab for you to make it clear what issue here

NOW since both Core not run VSS or vPC or stackwise virtual we cannot use PO between access SW and Core SW

so we have SPT domain contain 5 SW 
these 5 SW at least need to have two BLK port 

in lab I test repeat ping 10000 and you can see that there is drop when I shut the Root Port in Access SW R5 

let me know your request after what I explain 

MHM

Screenshot (576).pngScreenshot (577).png

Screenshot (578).png

Ah, looks like you're already using rapid STP, so that alone might not be sufficient.

As @MHM Cisco World lab showed a single (?) pilg failed, so interruption was pretty brief.  But, if that's the case, such an interruption might trigger camera to drop connection.  If so, that might account for your lengthy video loss.

Can reconvergence time be decreased with rapid-STP?  Perhaps, but STP is not known for fast convergence, like if you need something on the order of SONET's 50 (?) ms.

To get really fast fail over times, believe you'll need to consider other technologies.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'm assuming when you describe IP camera turned off, you don't mean physically, but you lost its video stream for some time period (about how long?).  If so, what you described sounds like slow reconvergence.

If that's the case, possibly your current configuration isn't optimally configured and/or not the best setup for fast convergence.  To suggest possible improvement, we need to know exactly what your setup is now.

Yes that's correct. 

The stream & recording of camera was off for almost 1 minutes. 

No configuration yet. I just set the password and vlan1 to remote the switch. 

Do you have a solution? 

@AnandaHaidar wrote:

Do you have a solution? 

Not without knowing you current setup.  Although, like @MHM Cisco World, with a minute delay, I too would suspect STP, non-rapid variant (which is the Cisco default) and possibly some time for the camera to reestablish itself with the video receiver.

If the issue is non-rapid STP, possibly just migrating to rapid-STP might be sufficient.  However, even it might be too slow to keep the video stream from breaking.

A customized L3 approach might be fast enough, or perhaps even faster, making your two core devices a virtual switch (if supported), and convert the access switch uplinks to Etherchannel.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card