Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch Cannot Ping vlan 1

e_dunnington
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Hoping someone can help out with this very odd issue and im sure its something i am overlooking.

We have just changed out our core router from a cisco 2821 to a brand new Meraki MS425 fiber switch that is running all of our layer 3 now. All switches that are directly connected to the Meraki are able to ping vlan 1 devices (servers) from the switch without any problems. However i have switches connected behind those and they cannot ping vlan 1 from the switch itself but the connected clients that are on various vlans can ping vlan 1 without any issues.

Normally i wouldnt pay this much mind but the radius server is on vlan 1 and i cannot use AAA authentication because it cannot communicate with the server. I have restarted the switch to see if that would resolve the issue and it does not.

Somethings i have found, the root bridges for my vlans are on what appears to be two different switches. Vlan 1 is set to our Meraki and the others are on another switch, i have tried researching but do not see or find anything that says this is the problem.

Any help or ideas are appreciated. FYI i am not a fan of this Meraki device but have to use it.

Thanks in advance.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I did not have the default gateway set on the switch so unless it was inside a tagged vlan it did not know where to route the data. Pointing my DG to the right place resolved my issue.

View solution in original post

Hi, 

As per our chat on DM. Your issue has been resolved after configuring default Gateway on the switch. 

Don't forget to mark as helpful.

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi,
Please share you switch configuration and Sho ip inter brief command output.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar
Regards,
Deepak Kumar,

Hello,

I have sent a private message with these details in them, for security reasons i do not want to give out our config.

Thanks,

Hi,  

I am checking that there is no Intervlan routing... Is the routing happing through Meraki device?

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,

Yes,

I responded to your message. If we talk there, ill update this ticket with conclusion if one is reached.

I did not have the default gateway set on the switch so unless it was inside a tagged vlan it did not know where to route the data. Pointing my DG to the right place resolved my issue.

Hi, 

As per our chat on DM. Your issue has been resolved after configuring default Gateway on the switch. 

Don't forget to mark as helpful.

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card