Views
Helpful
Replies

switch: CCCCCCCCCCxmodem:: I/O error

Steve Coady
Level 1
Level 1

hello

I goofed and uploaded a new image to my Cisco 3750.

I deleted the prior image and set the boot flash statement and then used the command boot system flash: old image/new image

This caused me to enter into switch: mode

I have tried various recovery steps

flash_init

load_helper

The dir flash still show old image which was deleted. It seemed my only course to reciver was to Xmodem

I am using SecureCRT and tried the TRANSFER XMODEM option, no success

I then issued the following (twice:

switch: copy xmodem: flash:c3750-ipservicesk9-mz.122-55.SE9.bin
Begin the Xmodem or Xmodem-1K transfer now...
CCCCCCCCCCxmodem:: I/O error

switch:

What other options can I try to correct this mistake?

sMc
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Run your command, using SecureCRT. Then, BEFORE the 3rd C appears complete the following steps in SecureCRT...

• Go to Transfer -> Send Xmodem. 
  • Choose your file and hit OK

should run fine after that. I'm curious to know what BAUD rate you're using...

View solution in original post

I see that your baud is set to 9600. 

BAUD=9600

Did you just set that per my instructions above?  I was able to find a step by step guide on Cisco (if you don't have it already).  Shows how to do the upload in either baud rate.  Keep in mind that in your case you'd use the Transfer -> Send xmodem option in SecureCRT vs what you'd do in HyperTerminal:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-2950-series-switches/41845-192.html#speedrecovery

View solution in original post

27 Replies 27

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

switch:dir flash:
switch:flash_init
Switch:load-helper
Switch:boot flash:filename/filename

2)

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-2950-series-switches/41845-192.html#speedrecovery

Try using the Hyperterminal :

I am using HT to copy files using xmodem, and it works fine with baud rate set to 115200.

For this to work, you have first ensure that there's enough free space on the flash (if not, format it or delete files). Then you have to execute "set BAUD 115200". Once you press Enter console will stop responding. You will have to disconnect (Call -> Disconnect), then change connection Properties (File -> Properties -> Configure) and set HyperTerminal connection's baud rate to 115200. You will have your connection restored.

After this just execute "copy xmodem: flash:.bin" and start file transfer in HT (Transfer -> Send File). Ensure that you selected an appropriate BIN  file and changed transfer mode to XMODEM or XMODEM-1K before pressing send.

HTH

Insharie

Thank you for the response. I am on windows 7, No Hyperterm. SecureCRT and putty are my options.

There is enough free space.

Still unable to get this done.

sMc

Run your command, using SecureCRT. Then, BEFORE the 3rd C appears complete the following steps in SecureCRT...

• Go to Transfer -> Send Xmodem. 
  • Choose your file and hit OK

should run fine after that. I'm curious to know what BAUD rate you're using...

Antonio

Thank you for the response.

Here is what I have entered

switch: copy xmodem: flash:c3750-ipservicesk9-mz.122-55.SE9.bin
Begin the Xmodem or Xmodem-1K transfer now...
CCC
Starting xmodem transfer.  Press Ctrl+C to cancel.
Transferring c3750-ipservicesk9-mz.122-55.SE9.bin...

I do not see anything showing a transfer in progress, is that  expected

sMc

Typically, no.  You'd have CCCCCC................. and the ....  output continues till the transfer was completed.  If you lost the console connection the moment you hit enter and can't do anything at that point, change your baud rate reconnect and restart xmodem transfer.  If yours is 9600, change it to 115200 and reconnect then restart xmodem transfer in SecureCRT.  If yours is already 115200, change it back to 9600 and reconnect then restart Xmodem transfer in SecureCRT.

Please rate if helpful

Antonio

I must have lost connection, however, both the switch and COM port show 115200

switch: flash_init
Initializing Flash...
...The flash is already initialized.
Setting console baud rate to 115200...

My COM 3 port is also set to 115200.

after the process shows "Transferring c3750-ipservicesk9-mz.122-55.SE9.bin..." nothing else happens

sMc

at the switch: prompt, type 'set' and hit Enter.  Post the output here so we can check settings.

Antonio

switch: set
$=!ýßúKõ˜ž÷ãÐHbŒ›ˆ}.Ý·!á,CÏÚ¿ÇÄŠO\Àíb¾€ýãëb'O]FBó_Åû¶:ÆÙÃEu­@y˜h>º?:.ìÍÏ÷”¡—Øç©ë&ªºû"->¿±“—‡/4›½ÅǪøš¯§ª+&žö¥‰†¶4+»
>Z=ç-î-Œ}üOµè%S.        ïñª& CPËX³J~V¯3
BAUD=9600
BOOT=f+a_h:/c3750-i-_e_+ice_+9-+z.122-55.SE9.bi+
CLEI_CODE_NUMBER=CNMWU00ARC
MAC_ADDR=00:19:E7:72:7E:80
MODEL_NUM=WS-C3750G-48TS-S
MODEL_REVISION_NUM=D0
MOTHERBOARD_ASSEMBLY_NUM=73-10218-08
MOTHERBOARD_REVISION_NUM=B0
MOTHERBOARD_SERIAL_NUM=FOC10414HSM
POWER_SUPPLY_PART_NUM=341-0107-01
POWER_SUPPLY_SERIAL_NUM=AZS104508DE
SDM_TEMPLATE_ID=0
SWITCH_NUMBER=2
SWITCH_PRIORITY=1
SYSTEM_SERIAL_NUM=FOC1042Y1BK
TAN_NUM=800-26857-01
TAN_REVISION_NUMBER=A0
VERSION_ID=V03

-- MORE --
_+i+ch:    

sMc

I see that your baud is set to 9600. 

BAUD=9600

Did you just set that per my instructions above?  I was able to find a step by step guide on Cisco (if you don't have it already).  Shows how to do the upload in either baud rate.  Keep in mind that in your case you'd use the Transfer -> Send xmodem option in SecureCRT vs what you'd do in HyperTerminal:

I also notice that there's a bit of gibberish in your output.  You should check your SecureCRT settings and make sure your connection is using the following (attached):

Antonio

settings are the same

sMc

Antonio

Got iot working. Thank you again for the great guidance!

sMc

No problem.  Which solution was the fix?

I changed the BAUD rates to see what might work

I have tried 9600 to 9600 and 115200-115200, same result.

sMc
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card