Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch Stack Configuration

So we have an issue 

We are trying to upgrade a stack (new hardware same config as previous stack), and I have provisioned all the stack members on the stack master (3 switch stack all 2960X Catalyst 48 port).

Some documents (like this one: https://ipwithease.com/switch-stacking-basic-setup-and-configuration-steps/) say all I have to do is power on each switch in the order that we want the stack member to be.

Others say we have to login and declare the membership for each member of the stack.

The issue we have is the previous configuration has radius installed and used on the console port, and I am unsure if the Radius is coming in via the second or 3rd member of the stack (perhaps its a port channel with 1 port on each stack, which is configured, but anyway I'm unsure), I wasn't the original person to configure the stack settings.

How do I log in to the switch stack and declare the 2nd and 3rd switch membership, if I cannot login as I don't have access via Radius, as its coming in via one of those switch members?

Any suggestions?

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You take all the config from OLD switch and implement in new switch - removing AAA config, that can be implemented later once stack build and working. you can create a Local user account with priv 15 to have console access./ telnet /ssh

regard to stacking.

1. all should be same version of IOS as stack rules (hope you have checked already stacking rules)

2. Make them numbering and stack priority - each switch

3. wr the config all device. (stand alone)

4. Power them off

5. connect stack cables.

6. start with high priority and low priority is suggested method always.

7. Once stack booted check show switch make sure all the switches joined in stack and working as expected.

8. Paste old config to new switch (wotu out AAA config).

9. make a maintenance window to replace old with new switch.

10. cut over with arrangement done.

11. once Stack working in production  - apply AAA config (hope you have fall back to Local authentication)

Hope this make sense ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks, however

- The old switches now are in production, with the same configuration to
be placed on the new switches
- We are replacing the entire stack

Accordingly, I have provisioned all 3 of the stack members on the stack
master (the configuration for switch 2 and switch 3 are on the stack master)

Since we are replacing the entire stack, why would this not work?

1. Install Stack Master
2. Connect up the stack members (#2 and #3) via stacking cables (only)
3. Power on the switches in order (first 2, then 3)
4. Let the stackmaster configure both members with
provisional configuration
5. Test

If this won't work, why not?

- The old switches now are in production, with the same configuration to
be placed on the new switches

BB - that is the reason i have advised to prepare stack offline - with old Live config - so you can replace easily (with out AAA config).

- We are replacing the entire stack

BB - i do understand the requirement, hence that suggestion made.

Accordingly, I have provisioned all 3 of the stack members on the stack
master (the configuration for switch 2 and switch 3 are on the stack master)

BB - i was suggest basic config on the standalone switch was, stack priorioty and switch numbering - this have your control fully.

Since we are replacing the entire stack, why would this not work?

1. Install Stack Master

BB - in this case your whole config of OLD stack can not take it, since only 1 switch available.

2. Connect up the stack members (#2 and #3) via stacking cables (only)

BB - yes once prepare offline you can do this way understand control

Master - Priority 10
Member - can be master if master fails - Priority 09
Member - 08 or 0 ( can not be act as Master any time.

3. Power on the switches in order (first 2, then 3)
4. Let the stackmaster configure both members with
provisional configuration

BB - if you adding this device to master single switch, you need change the config manually for the new ports added.

hope this make sense ?

Other note : your approach also works , but i would suggest better control way - so your change over time can be used betterway, not last minute rush.

you can focus on patching rather config issues around.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello

Not sure i follow,  You have a stack of 3 switches and you want to access the two member switches correct?

First use the designated master switches console port as/when you’ve logged in, you can session on to the member switches.

sh switch
session x <stack member switch>

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

No we're replacing the full switch stack with the same configuration, but
different hardware

Hello

@StewartAlexander0961 wrote:
No we're replacing the full switch stack with the same configuration, but
different hardware

So you build your stack first ,specifying the master and member switches and then apply the config from the old stack, if you apply radius authentication in that configuration as long it includes fallback to local access if/when the radius server is unavailable you should be able to gain access the new stack via the master switch console port using local authentication credentials

Example:
username <username> privilege 15 secret <password>
aaa new model

aaa authentication login default group radius local
aaa authorization exec default group radius local if-authenticated

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: