Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch Stack Priority - confusion!

m.s.rees1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I've just set up a new switch stack of 3 using Cisco 9300s. Can someone please inform me how to actually prioritise the master and member switches?

I've tried several things and it keeps electing switch 3 as the 'Active' switch, rather than switch 1. I have tried adding the priority values and it seems to ignore me. I have read... that the higher the priority number (15 being the highest), the more likely it will become the master; this doesn't seem to be the case. I have made switch 1 a priority of '15' and yet 3 still gets elected after a reload, though it's only '5'.

Further information would be of much help.

Thanks.

6 Replies 6

ebenav11
Level 1
Level 1

Hi @m.s.rees1

First to all, do you check the numeration of each switch?

switch stack-member-number renumber new-stack-member-number
write mem
reload

After the devices rebooted and stabilize you can to assigned the priority

switch stack-member-number priority new-priority-value
write mem
reload

I hope I've helped

kind regards

@ebenav11 wrote:

Hi @m.s.rees1

First to all, do you check the numeration of each switch?

switch stack-member-number renumber new-stack-member-number
write mem
reload

After the devices rebooted and stabilize you can to assigned the priority

switch stack-member-number priority new-priority-value
write mem
reload

I hope I've helped

kind regards

Thanks for your reply. They are currently numbered correctly, I did this when I first set it up and then changed the priority value also, however it still chooses 3 as the master. The commands above are not recognised on the 9300.... I had to type:

switch# switch 1 renumber (desired number, which is 1 in this case)

This then changes the number of the switch. I then typed:

switch# switch 1 priority 15

Which set it to the highest... however.... it is still choosing switch 3 as the master.

I haven't yet tried powering switch 1 first, then 2, then 3 with delay in between boot up because it's offsite and this not very practical. Surely there is a way that can do it through the CLI.

Diana Karolina Rojas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Does this behavior keep even when you reload the stack?

Best Regards,

Yes. It originally set switch 1 as the master but after a required reload, it now keeps selecting switch 3. I have tried reloading several times and 3 keeps getting elected as master. Highly annoying. No stack commands had been altered. 

Heath Deschenes
Level 4
Level 4

Have you verified that the changes you made were accepted?

If you type show switch, it will list each member and their role as well as their priority. This would at least confirm it is set correctly.

Yes here is the screen shot of it. You can see the numbering of switch 1, 2 and 3 and the priority values - however switch 3 is being elected as the active switch :(

sh switchsh switch

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card