Syslog On Cisco 2960 switch

c.adisesh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have enbaled syslog on my Cisco 2960S swtich as shown below -

logging facility local6

logging host 10.11.12.122 transport tcp port 514

I have sent the port to TCP since that is what is configured on the SYSLOG server which is a CENTOS 5.8, running rsyslogd.

I have tested the rsyslogd locally and it work.

However i want to send any and all log messages in the buffer to my syslog server and it is not working.

NOTE: there is no firewall on the CENTOS and the ASA firewall filter is enabled for outgoing traffic.

Thanks

7 Replies 7

Antonio Knox
Level 7
Level 7

If you want to send all logs to syslog, then you should set the logging traps to the level you choose.  In your config:

logging trap informaional

or if you want all possible logs (not recommended):

logging trap debugging

If we enable logging trap debug..so we will all alerts like..error..crtical.UP/Down..etc..iam looking for when the port went down/UP and what is the reason..which is the best alert need to configure

singhaam007
Level 3
Level 3

first you need to enable the traps you want

Network(config)#logging trap ?

<0-7>          Logging severity level

alerts             Immediate action needed           (severity=1)

critical                   Critical conditions               (severity=2)

debugging      Debugging messages                (severity=7)

emergencies      System is unusable                (severity=0)

errors                    Error conditions                  (severity=3)

informational    Informational messages            (severity=6)

notifications    Normal but significant conditions (severity=5)

warnings             Warning conditions                (severity=4)

then in SNMP config use

snmp-server enable traps syslog

then you will be able to get it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/configfun/command/reference/cfr_1g11.html#wp1031027

please rate if this helps

thanks

Thanks for this info, but by using the snmp-server command, my syslog server need to be also the SNMP server - is that right. Right now my snmp server and syslog servers are seperate boxes.

hello.

you can use logging command to send these traps from SNMP  to your syslog server

logging XXXXXX(ip address of syslog server)

please try this.

thanks

Hi,

I´ve now configured my CPI (2.1) for receiving all syslog and SNMP Traps sent from my seitches (catalyst 2960s). Everything works fine so far.

Now i want CPI to send an email for the syslog event "security violation". I can see this event in Syslog view and also in events with severity cirtical like i defined in severity configuration but no email is generated. Do i have to configure something special if i want to have an email notification on this?

The reason for this problem (maybe there´s another solution): We use 802.1x authentication and i want to know when there´s a security violation and a port is set to error disabled state. I´ve configured my switches to send SNMP Traps for "errdisabled" but they never appear in CPI.

Because of that i´ve configured syslogs and saw that "security violation" is logged by syslog but no email is created :((

Thank you very much for you help!!

Clayton Dukes
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

There is some confusion here.

Please be aware that SNMP and Syslog are two entirely separate things. The 'logging x.x.x.x" command has *nothing* to do with SNMP.

You should be able to get all of the information you seek from my Whitepaper published at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/technologies/collateral/tk869/tk769/white_paper_c11-557812.html

If you find that you still need help, please let me know and I'll be happy to provide guidance.

Hope it helps :-)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card