Views
Helpful
Replies

Table ARP

eperezb
Level 1
Level 1

Good afternoon team
I have the following scenario, I get to a local IP by pinging, after about 10 minutes it stopped arriving, I clean the arp table and reach it again and the scenario repeats after 10 minutes I lose the ping again until I delete the arp table Has something similar happened to someone?
The 10 minutes is somewhat approximate

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you provide more information about the environment ? what is the device model, what version of code running, also provide configuration, when the user lost ping show ip arp and show process cpu sort | ex 0.00

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @eperezb ,

before cleaning the ARP table you should check the ARP entry for the host not answering anymore.

There is a chance that another host has the same IP address and that after some time it sends out a gratuitus ARP overriding the previous entry. This is true if you see a different MAC address associated to the target IP address.

As noted by BB you can provide more info like model and type of device.

show version

show ip arp <host-ip-address>

Even with very short ARP timer configured  the entry would expire and the device should send an ARP request again

The clearing of the ARP table triggers the sending of an ARP request for the host address and for all other entries in the table.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card