tacacs-server directed-request command

mahesh18
Level 6
Level 6

Hi all,

Command

tacacs-server directed-request.

As per cisco  ---

To send only a username to a specified server when a direct request is issued.

This command sends only the portion of the username before the “@” symbol to the host specified after

the “@” symbol. In other words, with the directed-request feature enabled, you can direct a request to

any of the configured servers, and only the username is sent to the specified server.

So here is setup

Router A  has say 3 servers configured

tacacs-server host 10.x.x.x

So when i telnet to Router IP say 20.x.x.x now i get the login prompt and it put xyz so this request will go to any of 3 tacacs servers right?

Once i put the username then i put the pasword  as per cisco  only username is sent to server does this mean that password which i type

is not authenticated by the server?

What if i put wrong pw then will i be able to telnet to  router?

If somebody can explain me meaning of this command in detail please?

Thanks

Mahesh

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Dan Frey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The router will use the first tacacs ip address to appear in the running config.  If the config has:

tacacs-server host 10.1.1.1

tacacs-server host 172.16.1.1

it will try and use the 10.1.1.1 address first.   If the router can create a tcp session with the tacacs server the user will either be authenticated or denied.   Suppose that 10.1.1.1 was the enterprise tacacs server and 172.16.1.1 was a managed service provider.   The enterprise would be able to login as usual but the service provider would need to contact the device as: 

[dafrey@HammerHead ~]$ telnet router_ip

Username: username@172.16.1.1

Password:

Router>

This feature allows a user to specify a tacacs-server ip address and not use the first tacacs-server IP address to appear  in the config.   Authorization and accounting will also use the tacacs-server ip specified by this command for the length of the session.

Dan

View solution in original post

The term enterprise and managed service provider was to imply to different administrative domains.   Such as the the enterprise tacacs server does not have the same usernames as the managed service provider tacacs server.  

Hope this helps.

Dan

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Dan Frey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The router will use the first tacacs ip address to appear in the running config.  If the config has:

tacacs-server host 10.1.1.1

tacacs-server host 172.16.1.1

it will try and use the 10.1.1.1 address first.   If the router can create a tcp session with the tacacs server the user will either be authenticated or denied.   Suppose that 10.1.1.1 was the enterprise tacacs server and 172.16.1.1 was a managed service provider.   The enterprise would be able to login as usual but the service provider would need to contact the device as: 

[dafrey@HammerHead ~]$ telnet router_ip

Username: username@172.16.1.1

Password:

Router>

This feature allows a user to specify a tacacs-server ip address and not use the first tacacs-server IP address to appear  in the config.   Authorization and accounting will also use the tacacs-server ip specified by this command for the length of the session.

Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks for reply.

When you say that enterprise server does it mean primary server?

When you say 172.1.1.1 was a managed service provider what does it mean?

Thanks

MAhesh

The term enterprise and managed service provider was to imply to different administrative domains.   Such as the the enterprise tacacs server does not have the same usernames as the managed service provider tacacs server.  

Hope this helps.

Dan

Hi Dan,

If you can explain above statement in more detail that will be really helpfull.

Thanks

Mahesh

Hi Daniel,

Sorry for the very late reply.

Just want to make sure this question is marked as answer.

Thanks

Mahesh

Great answer! Thx dude...I hate how the Cisco Command Reference is often confusing and doesn't make sense. I wonder if this still works with server groups...though I imagine it does as long as you specify a server in the group defined on the method list your using. Thx dude!

Mark DeLong

Thanks for your explanation !!!!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card