Views
Helpful
Replies

testing a server issue on the network

ohareka70
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I am having a few issues with a web server.  Some users can hit it across the network and a few are hitting the page but getting errors.  I am satisfied its not a network problem as i can access it ok from my laptop and also ping or traceroute to it from different hops on the network.

I am satisfied i have proved that layers 1, 2, and 3 of the OSI model are fine.  I think the issue is with the web server or the user pcs'.  Routing tables across the network for this server IP address are fine.  Bandwidth is fine.

Does anyone know of a good application i can use to prove the issue lies with the web server rather than the network?

As usual - its a network problem until we prove otherwise (you know what server people are like).

regards,

kevin

6 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

patrick.preuss
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

What do you mean with errors?

You can use wireshark to Trace the Problem in the Client / Server / some where in the middle.

Hth
Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

View solution in original post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Check the connection to the web server:

1.  Line errors;

2.  Line drops;

3.  Cable;

4.  Uplinks to the switch;

5.  CPU in the server;

6.  Server logs in the server.

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

Of course it is the network, it is always the things they do not understand. *sigh*

You have not told us what the error is you are getting. so it is a little hard to point in a specific direction.

I use wireshark, works everytime as long as the session is not encrypted..

Record the transaction at the server and at the client.

That will let you follow the discussion between the client and server and you can prove to the server guys that the problem lies within x.

Even if it is encrypted some things like delays and such can be seen with Wireshark.

Good luck

HTH

What errors are your users getting? Does it only work when a user is on the same subnet or does it work from the remote subnets ("several hops away") or is it varied?

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

guess, you are able to ping the web server from user who failing for page, can you check if same user is able to telnet on port what enable for accessing page? Port 80 / 8080 or port ser by admin?

You definitely need to check the logs on the server and run wireshark on it and see what is happening.  You'll have to get the server admin involved.

12 Replies 12

patrick.preuss
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

What do you mean with errors?

You can use wireshark to Trace the Problem in the Client / Server / some where in the middle.

Hth
Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Check the connection to the web server:

1.  Line errors;

2.  Line drops;

3.  Cable;

4.  Uplinks to the switch;

5.  CPU in the server;

6.  Server logs in the server.

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

Of course it is the network, it is always the things they do not understand. *sigh*

You have not told us what the error is you are getting. so it is a little hard to point in a specific direction.

I use wireshark, works everytime as long as the session is not encrypted..

Record the transaction at the server and at the client.

That will let you follow the discussion between the client and server and you can prove to the server guys that the problem lies within x.

Even if it is encrypted some things like delays and such can be seen with Wireshark.

Good luck

HTH

I have been using Wireshark and have captures from the client on the same subnet as the web server and also from a client several hops away.  I have working and failed wireshark captures to the web server.

The working one is when i type the web server url in my pc and i get the webserver page drawn on my screen 100%.

The failures (to some user laptops) is when you type in the url and the page displays with errors.  Its as if their is a timeout preventing the data getting to the user laptops.  Java is up to date on the laptops.

regards,

Kevin

What errors are your users getting? Does it only work when a user is on the same subnet or does it work from the remote subnets ("several hops away") or is it varied?

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

John,

Its varied.  It works for my own laptop on any subnet but for some users it only works on the same subnet.  I tested this by taking a known pc to site where the server sits and the pc that usually fails worked ok because it was on the same subnet.

But as i say - my own pc and other pcs work on any subnet.  I can even plug in and use the saem ethernet cable of a user who would usually fial, take his ip address and assign it to my laptop - and mine works.

My pc is windows 7 and good ram, cpu etc.  Would that be the problem?  For the pcs that fail - is it because they dont have great ram or cpu eg a windows xp pc.

Is the server cpu intensive or is it a browser setting on IE?

regards,

Kevin

ALIAOF_
Level 6
Level 6

- What exactly is the error users are getting?

- Can users ping the web server when it is not working?

- Are users accessing the webserver via IP or FQDN?

The error is that when you hit the web server it does not draw the screen correctly (words and hyperlinks broke on the screen) and their is an yellow exclamation mark on the screen to say their is a problem with the webpage.

I can still ping the webserver when its not working.

Users are accessing the webserver via IP address.

The confusing thing is we have several of these type of webservers on the network and the pcs can hit and display the other web servers fine - so i know their browser settings and java script are fine.

Q  Is it possible that this one webserver is faulty and needs replaced?

regards,

Kevin

Would suggest you to take your Server Admin also in loop, the server is sunning on OS Windows or Linux?

can you ask your system admin if they have set any rule on server to access "x" people but deny all what not permited on server?, same like our ACL.

guess, you are able to ping the web server from user who failing for page, can you check if same user is able to telnet on port what enable for accessing page? Port 80 / 8080 or port ser by admin?

You definitely need to check the logs on the server and run wireshark on it and see what is happening.  You'll have to get the server admin involved.

i can ping, traceroute and telnet even to a non-working laptop.  The errors i am getting are pointing at Javascript:

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E)
Timestamp: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 15:32:04 UTC

Line: 41
Char: 7
Code: 0
URI: http://172.18.168.2/js/jquery/jquery.formobserver.1.1.1.js

Thanks for everyones help anyway.  I think i'll just pass this one over to desktop support team.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco